Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover link question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Nov 29, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Everyone keeps telling me not to use stock draglink ends for the crossover draglink. I'm not sure why. They also use a 7/8-18 thread on them just like 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton tie rod ends. They also have the same taper, 1.5"/12".

so...
    ES2233L (stock driver tie rod end with the hole in it for the steering stabilizer)
    ES2010L (dodge driver tie rod end with no hole in it)
    ES2234R (passenger side tie rod end)
    ES2027L drag link end
    ES2026R drag link end

Is Superlift's Ford drop pitman arm the only pitman arm that'll fit our steering boxes and have a 1.5/12 taper?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is Superlift's Ford drop pitman arm the only pitman arm that'll fit our steering boxes and have a 1.5/12 taper?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I use a BDS one.

Any ford pitman arm will work.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

DLE's and TRE's do not have the same shank size. A TRE is not interchangeable with a DLE. The Ford arms people are using for crossover steering use GM TRE shanks. GM DLE shanks will NOT work in a Ford arm.

Harley

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

use the drag link ends
    they have more travel then a TRE
    you have to ream the arms a bit deeper

5. CyberSniper

Superlift #1104 3" drop arm

The #1104 arm seems to be used in a lot of Ford trucks and 74-90 fullsize Jeeps. What is the story on the #1109 arm?

I wonder if XJ or WJ pitman arms will work without modification?

I want a pitman arm that clears the frame and I can use a Chevy end in. I'm not picky, I just don't want to buy the wrong thing.

I know the hole in the steering arm and pitman arm are different size than the hole in the steering knuckles but the shank on the TRE and DLE look the same.

I went and dug through the scrap pile for an old TRE and DLE. TRE on the left and DLE on the right.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to see if I can find a steering arm in the scrap pile to try my theory on.

6. Hossbaby50

Look at the DLE end. It is thicker then a standard Chevy TRE end. I found this out when I broke my crossover setup once on the trail.

We used the Ford steering arm (rotated 90*) to convert back to stock GM push pull steering. The DLE on the stock draglink would not seat very far in the TRE hole in the Ford pitman arm. The nut would barely engage a couple threads. I had to stop every few miles to check an make sure the nut was staying on because it would not seat down to the point of getting a cotter pin in the hole.

Harley

7. CyberSniper

Yeap, you're right. That's kind of a kick in the teeth. I wonder why they had to go and do that.

Do you happen to know if a 1 ton TRE has the same shank size as a 1/2 ton TRE?

8. Hossbaby50

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif