Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Low steer to Hysteer ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Sep 16, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey guys, I want to convert my current rockstomper crossover system to hysteer to get my junk out of the rocks. I bent my tie rod like everyone else on "tie rod" rock this past weekend at Potowamie.

So who makes the best arms for the money? Why aren't the RS arms machined for the correct angle? And what is involved besides arms?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

The only ones that I found that were beefy and bent to the correct angle are the ORD arms. I should have a pair shortly I just ordered them last week. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Damn I like those Sky arms!!!

Here's the players that I currently know of:

SKY

ROCKSTOMPER

MOO

ORD

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

My opinion is that ORD is a real nice arm, just kinda pricey once you get all the stuff, MOO is a bit overpriced and I haven't even seen a pic of it yet, and there is no angle milled onto the Rockstomper one. I think the Sky is every bit as beefy as the ORD arm, the dimensions on the protruding part are about the same and the part that sits on the kingpin is even beefier. Plus it's a hell of a lot less expensive. There are a couple of other manufacturers out there that look great, you should check out the huge thread on D60 crossover arms from a few months ago. Most of the manufacturers discussed in that thread make the histeer arms too.

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am pressed between the Sky and ORD arms. I was another one of the many tierod owners bashed on tierod rock. It bent my 1.5" x .375" wall tierod a little, so It's time to raise it up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I need to sell some other parts before I can buy the new parts I need. Again - spending freeze! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have seen both manufacturers and I think I might stick with ORD because they support our site. The price difference is only $30 and they might give me a deal since I bought their Gen 1 steering arm! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Neil, is your rockrod a MOO or a rockstomper unit? I'm leaning toward the MOO since it's not sleved and is actually thicker than the rockstomper after it's sleeved!

.375 vs .339

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Mine was tie rod number three, I need to go crossover and I'm leaning towards hi-steer, possible group buy?

9. Mudzer

Yes Mine was the MOO rod. Let me tell you. When I hit the rock, I was cruising in 3rd gear in double low - so I hit it about 10 mph. I wasn't crawlin' I was jabberin! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It stopped me in my tracks!

I backed up and drove over the rock like I should have and wheeled the rest of the day without knowing I bent the rod. Finally looked it over to make fun of you (Laytex) and had to stifle myself and nearly fainted when I saw the rod! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Neil, is your rockrod a MOO or a rockstomper unit? I'm leaning toward the MOO since it's not sleved and is actually thicker than the rockstomper after it's sleeved!

.375 vs .339

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're that worried about it, Rockstomper has a double sleeved tie rod now, it has a 1.75" OD, I think the wall thickness is damn near .5". /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hahahha....not only was that a tie rod eating monster, but looked sharp as hell. I thought it'd eat an mtr for sure, so I tried riding the side of it. Slipped off (imagine that this weekend) and boom. All I could see was that kid in the red jeep in front of me telling me to back the hell up. So I did, and did the exact same thing again /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Dan's always telling me I'm not the brightest bulb.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have just purchase the ORD set. I had the Passenger side on for the run this past weekend. I am going to put the drivers side on and get a new MOO tierod made. Then I will figure out how to mount the WTO hydro assist once it gets here.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You want to hit up both ORD and SKY and see what they say? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think i'd break ends then!!!

I'm not too worried about it now that'll be up high, but I want the best bang for the buck ya know.

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Does MOO offer a Dana 44 high steer setup? All I saw was the crossover arm. I want to keep my wimpy axles for now.

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Check this out:
    Crossover Post
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Hey Bryan,I know someone who makes them and they are very well trail tested. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Mudzer

I just checked with www.wagonermachine.com and found they make High Steer Dana 60 arms that do exactly what I want them to do.

WMS actually has a bracket that goes down and braces the arm to the factory tierod location. This way, it does not rock forward with the ram steering and break the knuckle. I haven't heard of any of the other Brand X arms that do this. All for the low low price of $298. Not too bad. They are digging up pics for me and I will post them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack the post, but if you're looking for a HD tie-rod then call Matt at West Texas Offroad. I got one custom made from 1.5" solid 4130 alloy. Its heavy, but its tough. Matt said if I ever bend it he'll replace it for free. That's hard to beat.

Will

20. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Good warrantee, but I would hate to have a solid tierod! Solid once it bends, doesn't bend back! It doesn't have any deflection at all! That's why the stock ones stay bent when you hit a small rock!