Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover or Leave It?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Feb 27, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33x12.5's with a 4" lift. I won't be doing a larger lift, axles and tires for a year or two. I am going to put sway bar disconnects on. Just bought a Hobart 180 at Amazon ($569.00/ new free shipping) and am going to stiffen the steering box. (Bolt on for now - no cracks)

Everything I've seen with crossover dealt with D60's, large tires, 52 or 56" springs, etc...

Question: Is crossover steering worth doing to a pretty much stock rig? I already have the D44 knuckles in the garage. The 2wd steering boxes are a dime a dozen around Phoenix.

Any thoughts?

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

made a noticeable difference on my truck with a sagging 4" lift and little tires. A combination of replacing worn out joints with new joints, and the much improved bumpsteer made it a WHOLE lot better to drive.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you going to wheel ?

There are things I really needed the crossover for , more so than a front locker . There isn't any easy turning hosed up where you shouldn't be with front to back steering .

Definitely doing it on both trucks eventually .

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I bought this for 4 wheeling. I will be using it locally, around the lakes, AJ, Florence, mainly trail stuff

level 2 and level 3 stuff
    http://www.orvpark.com/trail.asp
    I'm not planning any serious rock crawling:haha:, but that may change.

I used to 4 wheel around Flag before they closed most of the old trails. I had a 100% stock 76 years ago.

I've got the flat knuckle D44 for this truck. I need to get it machined if I do the switch.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can't run a swaybar and crossover. Crossover is one of the best mods you can do to a truck if you are going to do some decent offroading. It is always nice to be able to steer offroad. If you are just going to fire road the truck or only light wheeling then crossover doesn't have to be at the top of your list of to do's.

If you are set on doing crossover soon then don't waste the money on a swaybar disconnect. The swaybar must be removed for crossover and then the disconnnects are useless to you.

Crossover is a good mod for a 10 bolt or D44 if you don't plan on big tires and a D60. I run crossover on my 10 bolt front. It has been a great mod for me offroad. My truck is more geared toward offroad usage then onroad use anymore, but I daily drove my K5 with crossover for a couple years.

Harley