Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover problems :(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well i have my crossover in. but im having a strange problem. after a turn when going say 40 or more after the turn when im going straight again it will rock side to side like a boat in the waves:confused: anyone else have this happen? anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?:confused: :confused:

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

could be bad shocks but most likely its cuase you aint got a sway bar:wink1:

3. mudhog

that could be but why did it only do it AFTER i did the crossover and not before?

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

not sure:dunno: but crossover isnt the cause of a sway, or at least i cant see why it would be...:confused:

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think it would be the lack of a sway bar, I have x-over and NO swaybar, mine drives fine. Not to say that your dumb, but did you check the frame for cracks?? All the bolts tight?? TRE?? DLE?? I had a DLE come loose, but that was more like D/W than rocking side to side....

6. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The answer

Check your front ubolts and shackes and make sure it is all tight and then go get a second steerign dampner. the cross over steering is great but the disadvantage is in the geometry. the short stock arm is positioned front to back and will alleviate this effect. When the cross over steering is in place it is side to side and will allow this wobbling action.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

hold on is it body roll or is itthe truck moving side to side?

8. mudhog

you know how the old hoopty cars come to a stop and the backend keeps bouncing? its like that but side to side:confused:

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Toe in toe in toe in!

I ended up taking my truck to the alignment shop for the very same thing, as I couldn't get it right with a tape measure.

I also did 52"s up front when I did crossover, and they are muuuushy in comparison to my old Rancho's... so when I got up to 30, the thing would shake like you'd never believe ... puckered my butt to that seat something fierce.

-- A

10. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I think you have the death wobble . Does it shake the steering wheel back and forth ? . shim the king pin's with a few fender washers (3/16) and toe it in about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch . I at one time had jacked my front end up to check wheel bearing and what not and I stepped on the bottom part of the wheel and the whole wheel / knuckle unit dropped down becuase of the king pin spring :eek1: . I guess they were not ment for 42" swampers . I get a little bit of shimmy around 25 but it goes away when I speed up . I have only one steering dampner and I think if I had 2 it would be better . I damage a steering dampner up at goat Mt and lucky for me I brough a spare as I could only do about 20 mph . any more and it would shake the steering wheel out of my had . all my parts are new up front . I think I also have a out of round 42" tsl :rolleyes: imagine that :haha: . I wonder if the pan hard bar I'm making will help help any . I think having longer than stock front shackles makes it worse as it has more leverage to flex back and forth . good luck .

11. mudhog

trust me i know what deathwoble is and this is NOTHING like it. this is just like being anchored out in a boat and having another boat go by. not front to back rocking but side to side rocking. I'm thinking that dremu might be on the right track as it NEVER did this before the crossover. and i had wicked deathwoble before the crossover but none since

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think alignment is causing the problem too. If one tires toe is farther in than the other during a turn, then you will get that front end wash out feeling. In NASCAR they call it "pushing". I am just guessing, but my guess is that with cross-over steering, any miss-alignment is probably more amplified than with the factory "push-pull" type system.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing. It is worse with lower tire pressures. I have 2 choices when it starts, nail the brake or nail the gas. I consider it death wobble. I am running 40" tires and highsteer with no stabilizer.

14. mudhog

this is NOT deathwobble. trust me i know what that is.