Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover project done - my observations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, May 17, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Complete my crossover project - couple of observations -

1. Bump steer is GONE. I have read so much about crossover either helping it or making it worse that I am/was confused (as I'm sure many of you are). In my case, it is flat out gone.
    2. Turning radius is all it's cracked up to be. Very tight both directions.
    3. AGR box *at least in my case* is wonderful. So far /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif. No leaks or anything. (thanks Cliffy!)
    4. Tracking - the truck actually goes straight down the road if you let the wheel go. Mine used to pull slightly to the right all the time. No idea why but it's nice to not have to constantly correct.
    5. Death Wobble - absolutely, positively NO hint of any DW.
    6. ORD parts - as usual top notch. Everything fell together nicely, only snafu was the need to get a larger diameter/splined rag joint assembly from my local Chevy Light Truck Salvage for $10 with what looked like a new rag joint in it!
    7. Steering feel is much better and more positive. Part of that has to be replacing a 23 year old steering box with a new one.

Overall a very good improvement. I don't recommend putting the box in yourself unless you're an octopus /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Pics will be on my site tonight.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif im sure ill end up with one some day lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

What was your total cost of the conversion? If you don't want to tell everyone on the board ,send me a PM.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

YES I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No problem, total cost from ORD was $485 plus the AGR box which I got a nice deal on for $75. Add about $20 in braided stainless covered hose, a $22 cooler and that's it - total of $602. As usual, the ORD stuff was first rate - great service and a great guy to get pointers from.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I put my box on myself and did not think it was that bad of a job. It would have been nice to have a helper but it can be done. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I, like you, noticed a hell of a difference in turning radius. I can actually make a tighter turn now then Donna's Pontiac Sunbird.