Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seattle73k5, Jul 6, 2005.

1. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

I am about to purchase ORD's cross over steering, but have read that it will not work with lifts over 5 inches???? is this true if so what needs to be done if anything since I am running over 10 inches of lift?

will the pitman arm that ORD sells with the kit work for me or do I need to get something else?

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, (the new guy) :D

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Wow.. doesnt work with 5+" lift....???
    where ya hear that from?

I have 6" front springs and zero rates so 7" in the front.. truck has never turned so nice before the swap :bow:

3. seattle73k5

Maybe I was reading the article wrong but it said this system would have trouble with 4-5" lifts.

So if you ahve a total of 7" on your rig do for see having problems using it on 10"?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

wont work with less than 4" lift. i have 6" in my 1ton works great. the angles will be to close and also hiy frame if less than 4" lift. i have the full kit with high steer also. wow big beefy stuff.:laugh:

just checked the site and its all there. www.offroaddesign.com under dana 60 crossover. and dont forget to get 2x4 box or sector shaft. and will need box brace with this for best results.

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have x over with a 2 1/2" lift. It hits the engine crossmember on hard flex and the tie rod rubs on the bottom of the springs. Also I could not get a 1" add a leaf in the front with out the drag link hitting the top of the springs.

Final note: It works on a 2 1/2" lift, you are just limited and a 4" lift is in the future :wink1:

6. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

Hello man I have a 76 fullsize d60 frt kingpin type with 12 inch lift new shackles i brought the crossover setup it works great they treaded the inside of the pipe an extra inch so that i could cut it off if i needed to the pitman arm is for a two wheel dr steering box which easy to come by or they have a kit for that to also you need to buy there steering box brace both pcs you wont beleave the diff it makes but you will notice a great inprovement in steering also i have had no problems with the crossover steering i have 49 in IROKS on it remeber ORD all the way :bow: :bow:

7. seattle73k5

Are you running the high steer as well? And what about Hydro assist are you running that as well if not how is the handleing on the street? This is a daily driver as well.

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Call 'em up... Steve is great to deal with and can handle all of your questions. I've got just about all their stuff and am very satisfied.

BTW... I'm running their crossover set-up w/ 7" lift and no problems :wink1:

9. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

OFFICIAL HIJACKING :shame:

What do you guys typically do with the stock steering arm? Once you go xover (not going High Steer), do you wack off the arm and just use it as a cap? Or, do you just leave it hanging out there?

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

swapped the cap from the passenger side to the drivers... removed that arm.. .then put the new xover arm on the passenger side... :wink1:

11. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I thought about that too, but I just like how stout the steering arm looks compared to the pass side cap. I guess there's no reason to need a heavier duty cap for that spring though. :dunno: