Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover questions! What pitman arm, seering box, what draglink ends?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Oct 19, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am going to do crossover on my truck soon. I am going to use tie rod ends on my draglink.

I know I can use a droped pitman arm from a lifted ford. I know there is another arm I can use from I think a chevy van. What needs to be done to it?
    Also what steering box do I need to look for? I have an 88 K5.

I am going to get a draglink made from rockstomper, are the ends they supply the right ones for crossover on a draglink or are there different ones I need? Thanks!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since your Blazer is an '88 and uses metric o-ring lines, I would get a 2wd steering box from '80 on up.

3. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

ORD says not to use the DLE? Why is that?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If your running TREs on your drag link, then the drag link needs to meet the TRE pretty close to 90* to the pin. In other words, you will need a bent drag link. A straight link will be too close to max misalignment setting at static height. I run a straight drag link with DREs. However, a straight link generally requires a modified or custom front cross member. I built a custom cross member that is stronger than the factory unit which (very) often breaks.

As for the pitman arm, the one you want is a beefy arm from an 80’s *Ford* van. It fits the standard GM 2WD (splined) Saginaw boxes perfectly with exactly the offset needed to clear the frame. Note, the 2WD GM box is what you need for any cross over that I’ve heard about. Only problem is you have to ream out the hole with a (IIRC) 7* taper ream. The pin on the Ford DLE is much smaller than the GM units. This is what I run, and the original info (at least to me) came from Waxer on this board.

As for ORD recommending not to use DLEs, that’s because the threaded arm is longer and weaker plus it restricts options for drag link construction. Also, the socket holding the ball is not quite as strong due to the misalignment slots. Anyway, I run the DLEs and I don’t think it’s an issue, especially since I removed most of the draglink stress by adding WTOs hydro assist ram. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif