Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

i have searched

I will only have 4" lift and I need to do crossover on my 85 K5. I have D44 knuckles for my 10 bolt. already drilled and tapped. Here are my questions:

1. Is there anything special because of the small 4" lift?
    2. Use Superlift 1104 arm right?
    3. I imagine with 4" lift I will need a bent draglink right?
    4. Should I use a 1/4" or 3/8" wall draglink rockrod? TRE's are fine right?
    5. Who's arm should I use? Sky's arm is $85. Is ORD arm worth the extra $?
    6. How long should the draglink be?
    7. Will I need a 1" zero rate in my front spring pack to clear the draglink?
    8. What else? beside the 2wd sector shaft

Thanks

Harley

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes you can clear the draglink with no z-rates. I would reccomend a bent DL to keep as much x-member trimming to a minimum. If you get a piece of 1.5" .250 wall DOM and the weld in adapters I can bend the link. The length varies from truck to truck. The best arm I have seen is the parts mike arm (1.5" thick version is more than beefy) or shakerbuilt.com for the best deal on the arms I have found yet. DJ cleard his with no bend and just a lot of x-member cutting.
    Hope this helps.

3. Hossbaby50

which mike? echobit?

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The Parts Mike arm doesn't have the angle correction that all the good ones have. I have seen the www.Sky-Manufacturing.com arm and it looks real nice! Right now it is between that and ORD.

Edit:
    Oops...I thought we were talking about D60 stuff...the Parts Mike arm does have the correction....I'll shutup now /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I would sugest getting one with the angle correction and the extra hole for hi-steer if you ever deside to do hi-steer all you will need is the driver's side arm.

6. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Harley, How's the truck running? I just did the x-over on my truck. I used the Sky arm b/c it's much cheaper then ORD, has the 10degs milled into it, and I don't see any adavtages to ORDs. If somehow I break Sky's then I consider ORDs. Picked up 4ft 1.5 x.25 DOM and a couple of tube adapters, cut it to length and welded it up. I went with both right handed 1 ton TRE's , same as my tie rod, so I can carry less spares. Work's great so far. I don't have any hard wheeling on it yet but can't imagine I'd have any problems with it. I've re-drilled my front spring pads and plates to move the axle forward 1 inch b/c I didn't want any lift and this mod is free. I haven't had any problems so far with interference and only my 4inch lift. I could messure my drag link but it's probably better to set yours up and the cut it to lenght. If you need any help/tool access to get this done let me know. You can save a few bucks doing the drag link yourself.

Mike

Ps. If you want to go left/right hand thread, I have a left handed tube adapter and jam nut I never plane on using.

7. Hossbaby50

I am going all RH RH on my truck. I might take you up on that offer for help with my draglink. I want to make sure I get it right. thanks Mike

Harley

8. Hossbaby50

P.S. Truck is running great. I am still working out a few bugs, but I solved my main one today I think. I love it. Hit the key in the mornings, it starts. Hit the gas, it goes, stomp the gas and it really goes.

I can't complain at all. I am loving every minute of it. I am having a mysterious cut out every now and then, but I will see if my adjustments to the throttle blade screw and TPS will solve it. Thanks

harley