Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Steering - 2wd gear box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hero, May 4, 2006.

1. hero

hero Registered Member

I'm a little confused. I already have hydro assist on my rig, and now I want to convert to crossover steering. I have the arms installed, but I'm confused about the steering box. I was thinking that I just needed to swap to a 2wd steering box and change out the pitman arm. I do have a 2wd steering box that I got off a donor truck that I was going to drill and tap for my hydro fittings, but the more looking around that I've done it sounds like I can just swap the sector shaft from the 2wd box into my 4wd box that is already drilled and tapped.

What do you have to do swap out the sector shaft, is it really just a matter of removing the pitman arm, unbolting the 4 bolts on the top cover and pulling the shaft out? If so I would rather do this than mess around with setting up the 2wd box for my hydro fittings.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yes, almost.

You'll also need to adjust the shaft once it's installed; there's a good write-up here ...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147102&highlight=sector+shaft+swap

I even bookmarked it so I don't have to search =))

-- A

3. hero

hero Registered Member

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
    Thank you ! That was extreamly helpful. Thanks a million.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i didnt adjust my shaft....
    I just swapped them both out... and was done with it..... worked great.. couldnt get my lines off so I swapped just the shaft.... :wink1: