Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Steering and Sway Bar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoeAngelicchio, Jun 29, 2001.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I know here we go again. Has anyone successfully done a Dana60 crossover and retained the swaybar? I plan on towing with the K5 at least until my Crewcab is ready. Plan on towing a 24-30' travel trailer so I would like to keep the sway bar. Also the sway bar came in handy when I've had to avoid a major crash a few years ago when an idiot drove in front of me on the highway. My wife was pregnent with our first son and we could not believe how the truck manouvered and avoided the potention accident. Mind you I really flung it all over to avoid other cars, centre medium, ditch, etc. but I kept it in control the whole time. That's why I want to keep it.
    I've done a search but no luck.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</A>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I haven't done the cross over steering thing, but I'm thinkin' you can't run both. Even if you get creative with it, the two of them look like they would hit at some point, and that would be dangerous. I went down that road too, I decided to keep the sway bar, I really like the way it corners with it, and I plan on towing some junk around too. So I made the best out of what I had.

Some ideas to kick around. Flip the (or a) sway bar around to the rear of the front diff, like they do on Toyotas (IFS) and LandRovers. Or relocate the sway bar up into the frame and run some long links to the axle, like Jeeps YJs. -just some thoughts.

Twiztid

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Even if you bent the drag link just right, it would still be uncomfortably close to the sway bar.
    What I've been told to do is ditch the sway bar and get stiff front springs.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Hey Joe, got your response to Southern Ontario fellow wheelers. I will respond here cause I can't find my original post to respond there. This is a great forum for info. I just recently joined and am quite pleased.
    We could use something like this in our neck of the woods.
    I have 2 K5s. A 1990 and a 1988. Both are Silverados. The 90 I just picked up. It is stock except for a 3" lift. I bought it to swap out the good stuff on the 88 and put it in the 90. The 88 has a shot body but I invested heavily in the drive train. A new crate motor, new 700R4 prepped with B&M goodies, new axles with 3.73 Richmonds an Auburn out back and a Lock Right up front. It also has an MSD ignition, Hypertech stage 2 chip and stat. I guess I have a bit of work to do but this 90 is hot and deserves to be done. Should be fun.
    Shawnboy.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have heard and seen a sway bar that ORU has that will work with the crossover steering. It looks to be a little pricey too. If I remember right, the bar costs something like $300.00. Go check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://offroadunlimited.com>http://offroadunlimited.com</A>.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Joe

I'm looking at the same issue. I've got cross-over steering on the way but would like to retain a front swaybar. I plan to make mounts at the rear of the axle like another reply suggested & re-use the stock swaybar. No garantee it'll work but that's the plan at this point. Let me know how you make out & I'll let you know if I get it done first. My target date to go back at the Blazer full bore is Aug 1. Aim is on the road complete by mid-late October.

Take Care
    Brian
    89KBlazer

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Same here. D60, 4"lift, x over steering.
    Will be looking and thinking about a custom swaybar setup.
    ORU does list a swaybar under their x over kits - will check on that Monday.
    Mine is coming together in July.

Be sure to incorporate the sway bar disconnects in your plans.

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

8. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

an answer to your problem is the sway bar hits mine, so I [censored] canned the sway bar and made a tracking bar to run with the drag link, so nothing binds, and I can stuff either side up inside the wheel wells and nothing hits,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.