Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering arm as block

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Oct 11, 2002.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am going to put my 60 in this weekend if all goes well. I currently have 4" lift. I wanna put crossover steering on but I don't have the resoureces to do that at this time. I am worried about my draglink angle till I do crossover. I was wornding if I go ahead and get a crossover steering arm can I use then to put under the standard steering arm to raide it up to help with the angle till I can modify my box and build the rest of the crossover parts? Has anyone tried this or see any reason why it wouldn't work? I see no point in buying a steering block for now if I can use parts that I will need later anyways. Thanks ya'll /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Using a spacer will weaken that area when put under stress... call up ORD and ask them what they think about steering arm spacers! You'll get a earful of negative feedback! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I would say stick with the factory setup on the drivers side, and then do the crossover ASAP. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Just my .02

-Dan

3. MNorby

ok, thats kinda the feedback I was looking for. I really wanna do crossover but don't have the $$ currently. What probs would I run into with crossover and only 4" lift? If I do crossover now with 4" what probs may I run into when I put 6" springs up front? Thanks again.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You may have clearance issues between the draglink and the cross member with the 4"... but you might have the same prob with 6" lift if the front is really flexy. The nice thing about xover is regaining full left steering stop... most stock setups once lifted have a hard time hitting both stops... but after I installed my xover, I cant hit the locks no problem!

FYI - skip buying the 2WD box... find a local yard with ANY 2WD truck, and yank the sector shaft. I did that with mine, and only spent $15 for the shaft at the yard. Never even took the box off the truck... just installed it while it sat on the frame! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It will save some $$$ for you if that is one of your problems! Just my .02! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

-Dan

5. MNorby

sounds good, thanks for the 2wd box idea. I think I'll take it off though to beef the frame at the same time there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif