Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover steering & articulation

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BADRED73-N-AZ, Jan 27, 2002.

1. BADRED73-N-AZ

BADRED73-N-AZ Registered Member

Steve, was looking at your website for your crossover steering. I have a 73 Blazer that I have put 52 inch long rear springs up front with a revolver shackle riding at the front of the spring. When I did this, I moved the front wheels forward 3 inches. My question is: with your kit, will any of this pose a problem. I know my articulation will be very substantial. I want to know if the kit shown on your website has any limitations to this extreme articulation.

BigRed73-n-az

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You might have some problems. The axle being moved forward might be an issue since with the shackle at the front it's going to swing forward when it compresses and may cause some interference in strange places. that will likely work out OK but it's something to watch. Of bigger concern is going to be the overall droop and articulation. There are some tricks you'll want to play, one is to make sure your draglink is bent so the ends start with a pretty flat angle, that way they'll have more available before they bind up. Our arm will help that since it has the end cut level. You may need to go to a draglink end instead of the common tie rod end. The seem to have a little more angular motion available. I'm not sure how much but it is more. The taper is slightly different so we do need to know if you want to use this end. They're also much longer in the body and will make it difficult to clear the front crossmember so it will probably have to go if it hasn't already.
    In the extreme case you may have to run the draglink into the side of the tie rod. This causes other hassles but the big thing is that it lets the draglink end pivot around the stud instead of using the angular travel when the axle moves vertically. I really think you'll find a practical limit to front flex before you get to that point though. With the custom leaves I had good flex and made it work with tierod ends and a pretty moderate bend, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. BADRED73-N-AZ

Thanks for the info. Just trying something a little different, and I am still not sure if I'll keep the revolver shackles on the front or go back to the solid mount. As I get a little more information, I'll give you a call to get things ordered.

P.S. one more question! on machining the knuckle how difficult is this process? I have a local guy who machined my 205 case for the bigger berring for the 32 spline female shaft with my doubler. Do you think it would be a problem for someone like this, and is there any special issues I should make him aware of before machining? By the way, the doubler works excellent and I am very happy with it! Thanks for your response.

BADRED73-N-AZ

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

revolvers..up front? I didn't even know they made it for that app...I know MMR was always talking about developing a full-size-chev front revolver...but b4 I ever saw one, they quit making them for the rear! Are you just using the beefiest one they have or has MMR/TF put out something new?

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Fill out your profile.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The knuckle's not a huge deal but we make good use of a couple of specialized jigs for it. Basically the top needs to be turned flat perp. to the ball joint centerline and then the holes drilled and tapped in a mirror pattern of the LH side. Not rocket science, but it's nice to have the jigs.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

7. BADRED73-N-AZ

Hey Hossbaby50, just giving you my profile as you asked. It's a 73 blazer, 350 HP, brand new 350 trans, 203, 205 doubler from offroad design, 4" BDS rear spring pack with flip shackle. Up front I put the same 4" BDS springs, but I had to take two leaves out to get the ride heighth level. also, there 52" long springs and the stock springs were 46", so I redid all my mounting. When I did this, is when I put the revolvers on the front using the end of my old stock leaf spring mounted to a 3/4 inch plate of steel hooked to my custom bumper. Still ongoing though next is my crossover steering and then I'll get to my axles. Right now they are 1/2 ton, but plans are for Dana 60's. And that's about it for now!!