Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering for D44 Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Ddragggon, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I read the crossover steering guide for the D60, and that sounds incredibly easy to do. is the crossover steering setup for a D44 as easy? or are there several dozen other parts that need to be taken into account when trying to do this? ( for that matter, have you guys finished developing your crossover steering setup for the D44? ) I'm hoping to upgrade to a D60 at some point, but just incase that doesn;t happen, I figgure I ought to see what other options I have with my current D44 setup.

thankyou in advance,

-Rich
    73 K20 suburban
    350/350/205 d44/14bff
    (perhaps soon 454/NV4500/205 D60/14bff)

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have to have the right side nuckle milled flat, drilled, and tapped to have someplace to bolt the steering are to. Other than that I think it is a bolt on (unless your crossmember is in the way).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need to find a flat top knuckle to have milled...not all D44 knuckles are flat tops.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

so what you're saying is the path of least resistance is to just buy a D60, and get it over with... :-P

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not really, although a D60 is on most peoples wish list...[​IMG]
    The flat top passenger knuckles aren't rare, just a little tough to find. I believe 'Parts Mike' has them. I've also seen them sell for about $75 to $100...

I just wanted you to know that not all D44 knuckles are able to be used for a cross-over conversion. I have a D44 front in my 81 Jimmy, needless to say it's not a flat-top which is why I haven't bothered going to cross-over yet.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I may have to look, and see if mine is constitutable as a `flat top'

its prolly all slanted and rounded like the rest of them, but one never knows till one stares at it for a while.

-Rich

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

im gathering the stuff for the crossover steering on my rig and came across flat top knuckle and it was on a dodge dana 44,it was mid 80s 8 lug with locking hubs .and it appears to be exactly like the chev knuckle.i found no difference.also im told one can use a f150 drop arm on the steering box and the chev tie rod goes rite in.i need to know where to get the passenger side steering arm and how much is it?i have everything else for the swap.thanks

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The ford pitman arm won't work with the D44 crossover because the length is wrong.
    We have the steering arm, pitman arm and draglink, all together it's the same price as the D60 kit, $475. That's $185 for steering arm with new studs, cones and locknuts
    $70 for the pitman arm
    $225 for draglink and ends.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>