Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fbsadmin, Jul 7, 2002.

1. fbsadmin

fbsadmin Registered Member

I am looking at doing a Dana 60 crossover steering conversion very soon. What advise do you have, or problems have you guys run into?

Thanks,

Dave

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how much lift are you currently running or planning on running? you might into doing a replacement engine crossmember instead of running a bent drag link.
    Missouri Offroad Outfitters offers one as does Howlin' Off Road.
    Steves(MOO) are ready to go, as where I am ( HOR) still waiting for info from my bender /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. fbsadmin

fbsadmin Registered Member

I'm running a 6" Superlift system and seriously need some steering help. I tried their 4" drop drag link, but have never been happy with the strength or travel of the steering. This is on a 1-ton truck, not a Blazer (if that matters). I've been looking at the ORD system, but am open to better options.

Thanks,

Dave

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

ORD and rockstomper both have crossover kits. you then can use either a 2wd steering box or get an after market box to work witht he set up.

PM jekbrown, he just ordered all his stuff to do his, i'm sure he did some info digging.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no need to PM the jek-ster, I am here. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I ordered my stuff from rockstomper. Havent got it yet, so I cant give ya a review. Once I get the goodies, pics will go up on webshots and I'll have a more informed opinion about quality etc. If u had any specific questions, PM...

J

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I really like Metal Fusion's steering arms, and Rockstomper's drag link and tie rod. Avalanche makes the drag link and tie rod that are similar to Rockstompers, but they will make them with Heims also. Avalanche also makes some nice steering arms, they have a lot of holes in them so you can adjust the feel hust how you like it. I got a quote from Avalanche, a complete crossover kit minus the steering box and pitman arm was about $575 for a highsteer kit and about $550 for a standard kit with a sleeved tie rod and drag link. I'll probably get the standard kit with just the sleeved tie rod if I go with their kit.</font color>

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

You have the same lift that is on my truck(K5). At full stuff you may come in contact with the crossmember (mine did). You have two options cut two lines in the crossmember heat it and bend it out of the way(that is what I did) or get the M.O.O. crossmember. The install on the crossover steering is very easy. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif