Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm a month away from rebuilding my D60 for the front end of my 76 K5. I have 6 inch TC springs going on up front and a Corp14ff going into the rear w/ 2 inch TC's and the ORD shackle flip. I'm concerned about the front swaybar coming off if I choose to go to crossover steering. I already have an MOO engine crossmember and would go with Dedenbear knuckles and probably the ORD crossover setup. My dilemma is that I drive long highway distances to wheel many times. Keep the swaybar and and go with a modified draglink and steering arm? Or, crossover steering and don't sweat the swaybar? So, here is the poll:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't have crossover yet, but I don't run a swaybar. I only have 2.5" lift sofar and I don't miss it. My body rolls a fair amount, but I think when I go to 4" springs soon it will be fine. I drove my truck 1000 miles to Colorado from AZ and back without my bar. No worries for me. I don't miss it at all. Crossover is on the way too. I am 3/4 ton if it makes a difference.

harley

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I bought Sky's crossover steering kit for $319 to the door and I wouldn't do it any other way.

It's just not worth $320 to NOT do this swap.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I'm runnig your exact setup, 6"TC's/2"TC's
    +flip, I'm running the sky's kit, and other than a little lean on Hwy interchanges, i dont' notice a bit that the swaybar is gone.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You forgot: Lose the sway bar, skip the cross over steering.

Bill

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You forgot: Lose the sway bar, skip the cross over steering.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! as if that was a worthwhile option. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sway bars arent useful for much unless you have a mad flexy suspension. That said, even if I did have a front suspension that could get all crazy with flex, I wouldnt run a factory-style sway bar to control it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

7. Desert Rat

How much gear to you pack in there? I tend to take everything and the kitchen sink since I'm waaaaaaay out in the boonies for a week at a time. I was thinking adjustable shocks would let me stiffen up for the highway, and loosen up for the trail.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was SURE I'd miss my swaybar, but even after removing it, even with stock steering I have had no issues.

9. Desert Rat

Well, it's looking like the likely direction is to go with the crossover steering and dump the swaybar.

10. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well, its not the lightest 4x4 in my pack of dogs, i usually have every tool i own and every spare part on myshelf in my truck when i head out, pluss all the normal stuff fro a weekend, and like i said other than on interchanges and u-turns i harldy notice it, now of course if you have to do any evasive driving, which seems like every morning here in So Cal, it'll sway a little but under normal driving i don't notice a significant difference.

11. Desert Rat

I guess I'll just learn to live with driving a bit more conservative. When I had my 90 Bronco, that TTB front end w/ swaybar let me haul butt on and off road. But, I had to get an alignment done after every wheeling session. Plus it had too many electronics so I dumped it in favor of simplicity. I'll just have to stay off the pedal in the turns. Give something to get something I suppose.... Leland, I notice on the SCBD site your rig has the 6 inch TC lift and you are running 37's. You have a 2 inch body lift but did you do any sheet metal trimming? I had planned on going with 35's but would love to do 37's. However, I have a really clean body and don't want to trim it if I don't have to. I did a 3 inch body lift on my Bronco and hated the way it felt so I would prefer not to do one again. A friend of mine has an 86 pickup w/ a 4 inch lift and 35's. He rubs a tad. I know ORD has a 1 inch body lift. Perhaps the 6 inch suspension and a 1 inch body lift would clear 37's?

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought Sky's crossover steering kit for $319 to the door and I wouldn't do it any other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats this Sky company?

13. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status