Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Steering Parts???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at doing the crossover steering and this is what I have. I have the Dana 44 knuckles and the steering box. I know what else I need, ie: draglink, tre's, pitman arm, and what not. I was wondering what or even if there was some parts that I may take off a different make and model to help absorb some of the cost. I realize that the TRE's need to be new and that's not a problem as well as the steering arm, but I didn't know about the draglink and pitman arm. I'm not trying to be cheap I'm just a working stiff trying to stay afloat. If they aftermarket is the only way to go then so be it and I'll just have to save a little longer. Thanks ahead for the info.

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I bought the WFO Concepts Kit... it was spendy w/ the knuckle, but it was worth every penny! That sh*t's stout.

The knuckle needs to be milled, drilled & tapped for a steering arm, ORD or WFO can do this for you if it's not done already. From there, you just need the steering arm, DLE's, Drag Link and Pitman arm, and of course the 2wd box (or sector shaft) The Pitman arm in the WFI kit I got was from a 90's Wrangler. The draglink can be made out of an old tie-rod if you so choose.

From there I would get all new parts. Steering components should never be skimped on or half-assed becuase the concequences can be deadly.