Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover steering pic

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by titanic, Jul 14, 2000.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

someone e-mailed me last week for a view of my crossover project but I can't recall who-sorry

2. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Titanic...I am not exactly sure what crossover steering is...what is it? What does it do?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

was it hard to do

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

82Jimmy,
    Even though you said that i don't know anything on 4x4s, I'll explain what cross over steering is. Crossover steering is a way of correcting a lifted 4x4 s steering. When you have a big lift and tires and your steering is stock you could loose it on a difficult trail. You will need a crossover steering if you lift 6 inches or more. Even a dropped pittman arm, drag link or raised steering arm won't totaly correct the steering if you have over 6 inches. You can get all the parts for the conversion from Offroad Desing.http://www.offroaddesign.com
    314 Country Rd. 110
    Glenwood Springs,Co 81601
    970/945-7777
    And you said my post were short and not helpfull [​IMG]

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

6. That is with the 2WD Chevy box and Ford arm ?

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

7. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I use a AGR 2wd chevy box,(AGR box not worth the $$$$$), and a ford pitman. I have other side pic on the Suburban Forum.For details look on home page: hometown.aol.com/curet4wdc

8. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Oh, I did trim the engine crossmember bottom lip to give draglink more clearence on pass. side.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I'm impressed with it. You still get full lock to lock turning? what is the part numbers of the both arms on the knuckles? I dig not having to replace the cross member. Dep and I are going to eventully do a cross over on mine but I have been dreading replacing the cross member. I also like the way you got the cross bar above the springs. Mine has the style bar that is under the springs but very tight to them. I may just leave that alone.
    I wish you had brought that up to the Southern Convention! I would have liked to see it. Only person I had from Rocket city was Don F.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Grim, Don is a good friend of mine and I wished I could of been there. The arms on the knuckles are 1" steel plates made by me. I wanted longer steering arms than the ones currently available. I used solid 1.75 blocks like those dana60 steering lift blocks-just shorter. Then I had a machine shop buddy drill the 2" hole in the center along with the 4 holes to match the top of the knuckle. Having this spacer block allowed the top plate to be solid with the 4 retaining studs and a grease fitting. Draglink attaches to the pass. side arm and I use chevy draglink ends-you can make these tapered holes yourself using a snap-on reamer part #R-121 oh-lock to lock just fine! Steve

11. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Titanic,
    I currently have a little something different. Hydraulic ram steering with an orbital valve. What I am curious about is; I would like to mount my tierod above the springs as well. However I am wondering the strength of the mount on top of the knuckle as opposed to the casting. I have a dana 60 so I could probably just mount 1" arms using the 4 bolts on top of the knuckle. Keep in mind I am using a ram which will move those tires one way or the other. Ha! Either by breaking the arm off or moving the rocks! Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

12. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

another pic of my steering set up.

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

13. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Todd, I think you'd be ok. I have several friends with the hydralic setup like yours and a couple of them retaped the 4 knuckle studs to 9/16 size for added strength. I'm going to be converting over to the ram style this winter and I'm going to see if the 1/2 hardened steel studs hold up.Is it street legal in your state to run full hydralic setup?

14. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

is that ram stuff a kit and/or what dos it consist of and is it hard to set up

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

15. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

16. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

He is running a Dana 60, not a 44 like us. You can get both the arms for the 44 from Tri county gear, about 150 a pop. Might also check with Parts Mike, he comes up with some good prices on stuff. I did not go above the springs because with just my 4" lift there was not enough room between the tie rod and the pitman arm on the box. My pitman are end where the drag link attaches is much tighter to the frame to, so that give you an idea of how close. With the one in his pic, my tie rod would be crushed against the pitman arm. Not trying to say there is anything wrong with his setup, I like it, it just would not work for me. I would crunch parts.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

17. Depdog

Whoops, almost forgot. On the engine crossmember, I was really Dreading it to. All that dreading was for nought. From start to finish, took about 3 hours to cut out the old one, measure, cut weld and reinstall the new on. Ended up being one of the easy parts.

Depdog

18. Depdog

Looks like it would be great for the trail, only question I have is if you drive it on the street, what are you gonna do if the engine stalls. NO steering, you need somekind of mechanicl link to the steering for a street driven vehicle.

Depdog

19. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Looks like a nice, clean install Steve! When I did my crossover, I used the full height of the steering lift block, 2 1/2" (they're advertised as 3"). This allowed a bit more clearance between the 10 leaf spring 12" National springs without ever fear of contact between the spring and drag link. The lock to lock steering is incredible!! I don't think the thing has EVER turned as sharp as it does now, not even when it was new with 29" tires and no lift! Oh yeah, I also used a FS Jeep dropped pitman arm and GM 2WD steering box, although Parts Mike has said he has arms to fit 4WD boxes, so you don't have to switch your box out anymore.

ken