Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by not4show, Jul 22, 2001.

1. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I know you need a two-wheel drive box to make crossover steering work, but I've also read that just the shaft can be changed and it will work. Is that hard to do or what?

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I dont think it is that hard to do. I think I am going to do the same thing and just swap the shaft. I have a 2wd box that I can take the shaft out of but not sure if it will work going from a 73 to an 89 box.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

Very easy to do and i think it is going to be the fad of the future instead of trying to find this special year 2wd box you can get about any year and swap it into your 4wd box and you wont have any worries.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i am embarrassed to ask this but what is crossover steering and how does it help

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

You basically take a flat top knuckle and tap it for a steering arm. Run a custom tie rod from the arm to a 2wd steering box. Make a custom cross member. And waaaalah you a wonderful cure to bumpsteer on the trail.

Heres a link to a review on our site: <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/crossoversteering.shtml</a>

6. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

wayne.........just something to think about.....check the input shaft on your 73 box first. it problably measures 3/4" the newer ones measure 11/16" i beleive. check it out. i had a hard time finding a box to fit mine. good luck

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1>http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1</a>

7. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

If you get a 2wd steering gear box of the same years as the one on your K5 the fittings will work. I think up to 79 had flare fittings and after that they went to o-rings. I'm not sure about the year.
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels

8. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Hey shaneopie, does the shaft need to be out of the exact year and style box? For instance, my current setup is a 72' truck w/power steering. So, do I just need to find a two-wheel drive shaft for a 72' w/power steering or could the shaft come from a manual box? Thanks

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

9. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

I believe that the year really doesnt matter but i do think it needs to be a power steering box you get the shaft from. But i could be wrong.

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If you find a donor 2WD box to take the shaft out of, why not just use the box to begin with!! They're easy to find 2WD boxes, any from 1973-1987 will work, and probably a few more years, but I'm sure that '73-87 2WD boxes are a bolt on replacement for 4WD boxes. Just beware of the fitting change around the 1980-81 model year.

ken

11. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

The fitting change would be the only reason that i know of for not using the 2wd box. If your fittings are the same then you are good to go with the 2wd box.

12. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Also if you put the 2wd shaft into the 4wd box this would be a good time to rebuild the box using an advance auto rebuild kit.It runs about 35 bones!!!!!!Cheap insurance that your new setup will work properly and leak free!!!!!!

13. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

Yeah that is a great idea.