Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover steering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1HIHUM, Nov 6, 2000.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

The question: Can you articulate a crossover steering set up on a blazer enough to damage the rod ends on the steering. My sister in law just bought a Bitchin' 72 with crossover steering. The guy has travel limiting straps on the suspention because he said without them the rod ends would get trashed. Anyone ever experience or hear of this? I will post pics of her blazer, and mine soon[​IMG] Any input is appreciated!

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

With a 7" lift and the flex I had, I did damage my drag link ends. Go to the "Master cylinder Questions On 1 Ton Axle Swap?" post to see my new drag link. This keeps the drag link ends (tie rod ends) level and shouldn't damage them at extreme flex. www.rockerstomper.com can make you the dropped drag link.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

3. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I just saw the pics. SWEET,VERY SWEET[​IMG] My sister in laws has around 10 in' s. The rod is straight on hers though. What did the rod and pitman arm cost you? I plan on converting to crossover myself soon. And thanks for the info![​IMG]

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Thanks. The drag link rod was $75 which included the 4" drop and both sides tapped for GM ends. The GM ends I paid for at $30 each. The pitman arm is a Superlift (part # sup-1104) and was around $65. I've seen a different brand of pitman arm in JC Whitney for $55. The pitman arm requires GM 2WD steering shaft. I've heard Parts Mike may have a pitman arm that works with the 4WD shafts but I'm not sure on that.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]