Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, spare me the riot act about all your steering stuff supposedly being so proper and angled and whatever... I know the generally accepted 'out of the box' answers ; never do it, you cant do it, dont do it, I wouldnt do it etc etc...
    What I want to know is: Has anyone ever built thier own crossover setup without any adverse problems with driveability or whatever? I know there has to be someone. 98% of the stuff these specialty shops sell can be made locally for way less than the price they are askin... and 800.00USD is beyond my reach for a kit that doesnt even include the 2wd box. So, come on... fess up. There has to be someone running a custom built crossover of some sort and I would like to see it.
    Thanks.
    Mike

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What do you mean custom? I built everything but the knuckle arm. Tie rod, drag link, and cross member...

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yup, when I did mine it was CHEAP, only bought the steering arm for the Dana 44 Knuckle. Now they are cheaper than I paid for mine. I shopped all over and finally found it for $125.00 that was cheap at the time. I made my drag link out of an old tube type tie rod. Cut off the right hand thread side and re-threaded it wiht a tap I bought from McMaster Carr for $50.00. Cost me 70 to have the flat top knuckle I got for free from a junk yard (found a broken housing and they were tossing it, knuckles and all). Took a 2wd sector shaft out of a box I bought for $25.00 and put it in my 4wd box. It was the first tech article I ever wrote and it was on this site. It probably still is.

Depdog

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

ya, I read your article Dep. Its a good one. I know the rod can be built easily, the 2wd steering box can be found easily. What I dont want to do is drop 200.00 for a chunk of steel for the pass side arm, plus who knows how much for the pass side knuckle machining and drilling. I am in buttf#ck Canada and there just isnt any shops to do that cheaply, so I am looking at big costs to get it done. I searched the entire web last nite till the wee hours and found a guy who had taken his stock drag link and flipped it over so the hole for the steering stabilizor was on the pass side. Then he bent another drag link, and installed it from the 2wd box to the hole in the lower drag link. No need for a new 200.00 arm, no need for 100.00 worth of machining on the knuckle, no need for a rebuilt engine crossmember, and he says it works good. Thats what Im lookin for. Anyone done something similar?
    Mike

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

go surf Boggin freaks for locals to do the work.
    if Tim/Wolf359 and Teresa/WhiteKnight can build their trucks in the flatland you should be able to ferret out a simple knuckle machining
    the oilfield has brought a 'million' machine shops out there and anyone can do the knuckle with the info online printed out and handed to them.
    OTT will take a big chunk of your monthly income if you do not feel like strolling south

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The main problem is not that there isnt any shops... they wont do it cheaply. All the oilfield machine shops have multi million $ contracts, so if they pull a guy off that one for me and my 50.00 machine job that takes the guy 2 hrs to do, they have to charge me accordingly. ie: read 100.00. Same thing with building custom stuff... bumpers, shackle flips, roll cages etc. They wont do it in most cases unless you want to pay them for it big time.
    Oh well, I will be watching for some more responses. Thanks for the replies so far. Hey BR, do you have a pic of the pass side attachment point? Is it on the knuckle?

Mike

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey BR, do you have a pic of the pass side attachment point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, sorry. That's the only one I have.