Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover steering without swaybar or not?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Desert Rat, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Stephen, here is a question that I've asked around on and not really gotten a good answer for yet. I am within a month of rebuilding my D60 front end. I was planning on going with the Dedenbear knuckles, and some other upgrades. I'm torn however on going with crossover steering. I have a 6" lift (bought from you) and will have 35's on it. I have the MOO engine crossover that will go in. I drive some pretty long distances on the highway to go wheeling from the SF bay area to Nevada usually with a lot of gear. So, I am nervous about going without a sway bar for highway use. I saw in an article in Offroad.com on crossover steering that they recommended using an aftermarket swaybar since crossover is in the way of the stock swaybar. What is your opinion on this? I went to ORU's site (listed in the article) to see their swaybars but couldn't find one that matched a 76 Blazer. I have your ORD swaybar disconnects now, but don't know if they will work with anything but a stock swaybar. My dilemma, do I go with crossover steering and worry about handling on the highway? Or, do I stay with stock configuration using a modified draglink and steering arm?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

In general, most people are happy with the crossover for the highway, even without the swaybar. The body roll is present, no question, and for some it's not comfortable. The driving characteristics of a crossover setup do help for driving on the road. Crossover doesn't give much feedback in body roll conditions so it's often more comfortable to drive in corners than the GM system. Instead of the constant correction and "driving" through the corner, you can usually just turn the wheel and leave it till you're done turning. One thing you should do is search and ask around and see what other guys thought of the before and after.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any better advice than this, we're all individual enough that all I can do is tell you how it's going to work and you'll have to figure out how it's going to feel to you.

I've seen trucks running the factory swaybar with crossover and there's a chance you can make it work, but I don't think it's going to be something you can disconnect and there's a lot of potential for interference.

Hope this helps
    SW

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I did the crossover with no sway bar and I do a lot of highway driving from S.F. to Tahoe (lots of windy roads at the Tahoe end). I'll never go back. The truck steers so much better in corners. No more of the constant adjusting when you hit a turn. As far as body roll, well, it's a tall truck, not a Mazda Miada! The springs are pretty stiff, I've never been bothered by the slight roll I have, but then again, I don't drive this thing like the sports car it isn't when I get to the windy stuff.

Eric M.

4. Desert Rat

Eric, glad to hear that. We probably travel similar routes. I usually go 120/108/395 over to Bridgeport then on into Nevada. Sometimes I head up 80, 50, 4, 8, or 88/89 as well. I planned on doing adjustable shocks to stiffen them up on the road, and soften them up for the trails. The springs I went with came from ORD and are TC's. Do you have the dual or single shock setup up front? Stephen, thanks for the prompt response. By the way, just got the Daystar body mounts I ordered recently from you. They came pretty quick, thanks. I'm leaning towards a Dedenbear, ORD crossover steering setup but I may do a poll in the Garage just to see what everyone is running.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I had the double shock set up in front and switched back to a single with ajustable Ranchos set in about the center, it was just too stiff a ride even for the road. My springs are 15 year old rancho 4" Soft Rides (or as soft as they got 15 years ago!). Body roll has never been an issue or a problem for me. I took the sway bar off even before I did the crossover and only noticed some extra body twist when going full throttle from a stop. I really doubt you'll miss that sway bar for a second. Nothing about our trucks is set up for cornering anyways ... tall, leaf spring front and rear suspension, heavy, crappy tires (even the best brands are great in mud and rocks, etc, but were never made for high speed traction on asphalt).

See you on the slopes ... sounds like you go to Kirkwood.

Eric M.

6. Desert Rat

In my younger days I lived at Kirkwood. Now I pass through the Sierras and head out to the desert. I spend most of my time tooling around Yerington, Wellington, Bodie, Hawthorne, Aurora, Masonic, Pine Grove, Bridgeport, etc. I'm leaning towards dumping the swaybar and going with the crossover with the adjustable Ranchos too.