Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jays Beast, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Check out this steering knuckle
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    not sure what to think about. Is it a good idea to weld casting to casting and trust it in the most important area of the truck. Here is the link to the sells page steering knuckle has more info and pics.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would stay far far away from that knuckle personally. It is a way around finding a flat top knuckle, having it machined, and buying a steering arm but I wouldn't trust it. I don't think being made out of cast it would be strong enough to support the loads necessary in the steering.

After snapping hardened steel this weekend in my studs I wouldn't trust it. If you notice all the aftermarket arms, studs, spacers are made out of steel not cast iron. There must be a reason for it.

It would seem to me it would be easier to cast steering arms then have them matchined, and cheaper to but nodoby does it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Harley

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

For the price I don't see it as any benifit. From a strength point I see it as an accident waiting to happen. You can pic up an arm from many places fof around $100 and have a knuckle machined for around $50. That is the route I would go.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Offroad Unlimited also builds alot of poser trucks that will never see the dirt.

6. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Yes, they build knuckles like that but the knuckles are one piece nodular iron cast not welded cast. For a D44 they still use the flat tops with arm
    [​IMG]

I would never trust a welded cast piece in such a important area. If it brakes while your going down the road your scr#wed.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

No way! ORU? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif