Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Steering ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drofdar, Dec 18, 2005.

1. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I have an extra D44 front with flat knuckles and a power steering box from a 2W/DR donor truck. I've been told the knuckles will fit on my 10 Bolt front and the 2W/DR box is necessary for a crossover steering conversion. But I've never driven a rig with crossover and don't know what the difference would be over my stock steering. What are the advantages/disadvantages, of crossover steering, and what kind of pitfalls can I expect on the install?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

advantages = You will be able to steer when your truck is flexed out..

i didnt notice any disadvantages... but i seem to remember Stephen watson saying bump steer is worse with crossover.. i havent noticed it..

pitfalls? youll need either a bent drag link.. or a new engine crossmember, to prevent interference between the two..

you also need a new pitman arm, Superlift part number 1901... i think.. but dont quote me.. someone will post up the info for the right pitman arm.. its been a long time so i cant remember.. good luck

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

The superlift # is 1104 got mine from 4wheel parts, I hear trevor at wfo has them too. Dropped draglinks are best to avoid clearance issues as mentioned.

The best benefit is overall better steering response. No bumpsteer, crossover eliminates bumpsteer. I can do uturns with 40" tires. Much easier to turn when stuffed in the rocks too!

Jesse

Disadvantages is it's $$$$. Put more stress on your knuckles which can lead to failure, then a call to dedenbear.

Oh on the install be prepared for stuck knuckle studs, stubborn DLE or TRE, make sure you get the right parts. PB blaster and a torch are your friends.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lol 1901 is the edelbrock carb.. why i got that number inmy head i have no idea.. hijack off...

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status