Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudddog91, Jun 22, 2001.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Can anyone give me the correct measuring procedures for finding the correct length of the drag link when setting up the crossover steering?Right now im using a drop pitman arm from a j**p and i made measurements at full turn left and right and used that but what im not sure of is that the pitman arm is actually splined to sit centered with the box being centered and the wheels being centered.did that make any sense?
    what is happening is that my steering box hits the internal stops(oops) before the knuckles hit their stops.please help??????

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I used a stock jeep arm originally and had to file the index marks out with a triangle file. The arm was 45 degrees off. I now use a ford arm and if you don't get one for a 78 or 79 you will have to do the same thing. When the steering box is centered the flat spot on the input shaft will be on top and the index marks on the pitman shaft should be lined up straight forward and backward and left and right. The box should have about 3 to 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. Measure the drag link length with the steering box centered and the wheels straight. Hope this makes sense.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>