Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Steering

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Blazr77400, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

About 8 months ago I did the crossover steering on my Dana 60. I bought the Rockstomper Dragling and tierod. The Draglink had The bend to Clear the Crossmember. I had to use a Drop pitman arm with it. I machined The steering arm at work out of 3/4" 1018.
    I have 2 questions. With the Dropped pitman, has anyone else had any problems, when the Driverside Front spring compresses, with it hitting the spring. Right now i have Tuff country 6" springs which give about a 5" lift and OK Flex. I am going to be going with Some Custom National Springs. Probably around a 7" lift. Should the extra lift get rid of the problem or do you think the softer spring will Flex better and do the same thing?
    My other question is about the Tie Rod. It's also the Rockstomper unit. I have the AGR RockRam Assist on it. Right now I dont have Full Lock to Lock steering with the Ram, but was going to Get the 9" ram Later. The Problem i have is when I get a little bit of leverage on the tire it compresses the stops in the ram and will give me the full steering to one side. Is this Bad on the Ram, and is anyone else having a problem with the Tierod hitting the Diff Cover. Its an aluminum piece from summit. The one with the Pre loads for the Caps.

2. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

What drop pitman arm did you use, and how much space is there between the frame and the tie rod end of the pitman arm? I'm looking for one with lots of drop for my crossover steering conversion.

Hard to say about flex and contact. The above question is also related to ask if you can get away with a bit less drop in the pitman arm, to avoid the contact. You may get a slight bit of bump steer, but you're already over top of the springs, so the angle shouldn't be that bad...

--Rob

3. Blazr77400

I think its the same one in the Off road designs kit. Its about a 3 inch Drop. The part # is sup-1104. ITs made by superlift.

[​IMG] If you Didn't Build it, it AIN"T YOURS [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazr774001>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazr774001</a>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I have almost that exact same setup as you. But I have 4" TC springs upfront. I have the dropped draglink from Stomper like you and nothing hits anything when full out flexed. I use the same pitman arm, the SUP-1104 and a steering arm from Parts Mike. I'm assuming you use the rockrod as your tierod. If so, you should go back to the stock diff cover, b/c that is the only thing that will clear it. Maybe some others, but that I know of. The aluminum one sticks out too far for the extra capacity, so that's why it hits.
    Lastly,
    I lose about maybe 1/8" on each side (turning radius) from the ram. I think that 9" stroke is wayyy too long. 8" is good enough really.

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We haven't seen any problems with whacking the pitman arm so far, and to be honest, if you're hitting it with a 6" spring, you need to put a bumpstop on it or lower them down. A 6" spring isn't going to like being bent up that far.
    There are some options with pitman arms, but they mostly involve going to wrecking yards to see what you can find. I used a flatter ford arm of some sort on mine the first time with a heim joint on the pitman arm because it's a little more compact, but I never came close to it. Later went to an arm with a little drop and once again, no contact.
    With a 7" custom spring, depending on how they actually end up, you should have plenty of room. Even a national isn't going to like being flexed more than about 6-7" of bump travel and that should keep it away from the arm.
    I haven't played with the ram on anything but my K5 and the way my knuckle arm is built, I adjusted the leverage to work with the ram throw so I can go lock to lock. I actually had to build new beefy axle stops because I bent the stock ones right over.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to make a cross-over also. Who is this "Parts Mike" Boss got his steering arm from? Or Brett (Blazr77400) are you intersted in matchining up some more?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

go to partsmike.com yo

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?

8. Blazr77400

I dont think the spring hits, it just looks like it could with a bump, kind of like sliding the left side tire into a hole and the sudden drop making the spring compress enough to hit.
    About the Ram, AGR said the 9" ram would be ok with the Factory Stops. Do the Ford Frontends have smaller stops?

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

9. Blazr77400

The steering arm that comes with the Offroad Designs Kit would be the Best Bet. I worked with Boyce equipment a little bit on making a Kit. My work charged them a $105 for me to make the Dana 60 steering arm. But, It didnt have the angle machined in it, and it wasnt Powdercoated or painted, Im not sure what Offroad designs coating is. I plan on making another one with little bit of a lift and Angle. Make it out of 1.5" material with the 10 degree cut into it.
    Another thing is, I dont think i would make any more arms for anyone because of the Liability. I could Lose Bigtime if one broke for some reason.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Well, what I meant to say is, you don't want your stroke to be longer than your actual turning radius. Another words, you don't want the ram to push out further than your axle can turn.

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I prefer to have ram stroke left over after the knuckles are on the stops, that way they'll always go to the stops on the axle before you max out the ram or the box. You don't want to blow out the box or the ram because you smacked a rock and didn't hit the steering stops before the internal box stops. With beefy axle stops, you know when you hit them, the pump starts making noise.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>