Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover-Steering

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyUp, May 12, 2003.

1. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Hello,

After exhausting all options to try and resolve my bumpsteer caused by my new 6-inch lift I am now looking to move to crossover-steering. Currently, my axle moves front to back as a result of my spring compressing/un-compressing. I just installed a swaybar in hopes of reducing this front to back motion with the axle and I got the movement limited to 1-inch from 4-inches but my problem with bumpsteer still persists and the vehicle is not safe to drive. This being said...., ORU (Off-Road Unlimited) offers a crossover-steering package and it is said to be the only REAL way to eliminate bumpsteer caused by bigger lift and tires on vehicles setup with traditional 1/2-ton Chevy/GMC steering (i.e. front to back steering with the pitman-arm, draglink and steering arm). My questions is before I dump another $1k into the setup and new steering box I want to know that this will solve my current drivability issues related to bumpsteer. I have buddies that have done this on their Toyotas with GREAT success but I don't know anyone who has done it on their 1st generation Blazer/Jimmy. Has anybody done this? If so, what were the results?

Timely feedback is greatly appreicated as I need to move on this quickly to make my Memorial Day wheeling trip. otherwise, if the crossover-steering is not going to resolve my problems I will not be able to drive my rig. OUCH!

Thanks,
    Scott

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Scott,

I'm assuming you meant "ORD" and not "ORU" crossover steering kit?

If so, the answer is "YES" I've done it on my 1st Gen, YES it works wonderfully, and YES it will probably remove every complaint you are currently making about your draglink setup.

I know I've got a few pictures scattered in my gallery, but I don't think you need pics (you know what it IS) just that it really works.

I'd read posts that claim crossover steering won't solve bumpsteer issues, but I disagree. My experience was an almost undriveable K5 (soft front springs, axle 1" forward, LOTS of bumpsteer) to one that tracks beautifully over bumps and whoops in the highway with no more jerking of the steering wheel.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Crossover is simple in a 1st gen.
    You already have the flat top passanger side knuckle and engine crossmember clearance that is missing on a 2nd gen blazer.

All you should need is a 2wd steering box (you can even just swap out the shaft in your box w/ a 2wd one), pitman arm, drag link, and steering arm. You will then have to have your passanger side knuckle tapped out for the steering arm.

That is it. $850 sounds like alot of $$$. I would look at Offroad Design first.

5. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I went with a 4 X Doctor custom setup with ram: Parts Mike arms, Lee pump and box, wrangler pitman.

I have some freakishly soft Alcans (4") up front (same rate as Greg's, IIRC)and while the initial setup did help BS a ton over the raised arm I was running, the setup didnt knock my socks off until we added a track bar from just behind the ds bump stop to the ps of the 44.

Man oh man....it's a new truck. No bs at all and, aside from a bit more vibe from the bushing-less TREs on the track bar, I freaking love it.

Only regret I have is not doing it for a 60. I might have one of the more expensive D44s in existence.

Oh well, would have bought the pump, box, and ram either way.

6. JimmyUp

Hello Greg,

Glad to hear you had good success with the ORD kit. I just purchased the kit this morning and have my work cut out as far as timing goes. I need to be up and running by next Wednesday as i am heading to play in the sand dunes for Memrial Day. My truck is not safe to drive as is so for the money I am spending on crossover-steering my expectations are very-very high.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out and if it is worth the investment.

Regards,
    Scott

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Scott,
    Man sounds like you have got your hands full. I hope you can get it all together over the next week. Let me know how it goes.

8. JimmyUp

Chris,

Good to hear from you...! Man have I opened a can of worms. Can i have my 4-inch lift back:-)?

I have parts coming in from "3" different states in an effort to make my trip for Memorial Day weekend. If crossover steering does not work I will be going back to a 4-inch kit and shaving the fenders on my baby. I don't want to do this becuase it's so straight.

Wish me luck...!

Regards,
    Scott

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I can't beleive I'm just now seeing this! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I totally could have helped you out on this. Damn it!
    So did you go with the ORD (offroad design) or the ORU (offroad unlimited) System? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW where are you at dude?

10. JimmyUp

Greetings (patient listeners),

Well, it's taken 3-months and a lot of effort and $$$ but I can say that I made my Memorial Day trip to the Moses Lake sand dunes in Washington and was in my 72-Jimmy...! It was not from a lack of effort either.

Let me just say that I received a great amount of timely response from ORD (Steve and James) as they hooked me up on short notice (next day aired my steering knuckle, pitman arm, tie rod & ends, jam nuts, steering box, etc...)so I could make my trip in a rig that was driveable.

Also, my rig was at 4WheelParts in Tocoma and Bill Gosk (store manager) and his lead tech Chris got me in and out. I had trouble with 4Wheel's mail-order guys and Bill jumped in to help me so I would not have to go through everything myself a 3rd time. Don't ask but let's just say the correct parts were not sent the first or second time and then I had folks at 4Wheel headquarters disagreeing with me on what was and what was not the right parts.

In closing let me just say that if you own a 72 or older Blazer/Jimmy and go with a 6-inch or bigger lift cross-ever steering is your friend and a necessity. My bumpsteer is literally 98% gone and my steering ability at stop or low speeds is greatly improved. I will be fabbing some custom trac-bars to assit with body roll (I had to remove my sway-bar when I went with the crossover setup) but after all of my trials and tribulations crossover steering was the one thing that really solved my bumpsteer driveability problem.

I now have the following NEW items for sale at great prices:
    1) 2-inch drop pitman arm
    2) Adjustable draglink
    3) Raised steering arm
    4) Nicely detailed front saw-bar with new bushings.

Let me know if you are interested in anything or if you have questions regarding crossover steering.

Regards,
    Scott

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    In closing let me just say that if you own a 72 or older Blazer/Jimmy and go with a 6-inch or bigger lift cross-ever steering is your friend and a necessity. Regards,
    Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! I told you so!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw -> I only run a 4" lift and think it's just as sweet as you mentioned.....

12. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Scott,

I was just wondering how much it cost you total to goto cross over steering.

Also Ive heard it said that a 2wd steering box must be used because the pitman arm wont adjust to the right position with a 4wd box? I just put on a new box (4wd version) and dont want to buy a new one. Is there any way around this? Maybe change the output shaft from my new 4wd box with one from a 2wd box? Or maybe have a machine shop modify the pitman arm so it will line up properly? Isnt the problem that the pitman arm needs to be clocked 90deg. from its current position?

Has anyone here found a way to use their 4wd box w/crossover steering?

Thanks,
    David

BTW I wish I lived in Seattle but tell me...is the cost of living there very very high?

13. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

I tried using a shaft out of a newer truck and it wouldnt work. Not sure of the year because it was bolted to a bare frame.
    I then found a steering box out of a 1st gen 2wd GMC truck 71 or 72(not sure what year). Compared the 2wd shafts(newer and older) and they were different. Tried the older 2wd shaft and it dropped into my 4wd box like it was made for it. The bad news is Im not sure what year they changed the shaft. I think I have a pic if you want me to look for one.

14. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

JimmyUp-

I PM'd you about the sway bar.

15. JimmyUp

Hello Dave,

I would have to say that I am into the ORD crossover steering setup for around $900.00 and this does include a new 2wd steering box.

I know you have a new 4wd steering box but save yourself the time and hastle trying to fab it. Sell it to a buddy for $200 and buy a new 2wd box for $230.00 Also, at least this way you are going with a proven setup that others have and like.

Regarding Seattle. The cost of living is high. However, we are close to mountains, desert, and the ocean. It has it's advantages and disadvantages just like anything else.

Good luck,
    Scott

16. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Move to Portland.
    Same benefits, cheaper living.