Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover steering??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blzr4x4ngkid2, Oct 3, 2003.

1. blzr4x4ngkid2

blzr4x4ngkid2 Registered Member

I was just curious as to how hard it is to install Xover steering and what all is involved. I have been thinking about it a lot lately. My K5 is lifted 9" suspension and Xover would help out my steering problems tremendously. If I don't put it on the K5, then it will definately go on the next truck I buy. Hopefully that'll be a SWB!! Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Welcome, and thanks for supporting this site! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When you get chance, fill out your profile. It will help folks know what you're driving, what parts you are running, where you are, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Check out Off Road Design' s site, or better yet, give Stephen over at ORD a call. He put together an awesome crossover setup for me. It's very beefy and well made.

Install requires installing a 2wd steering box or 2wd sector shaft in your 4wd box, and on a D60, a drag link, steering arm, and pittman arm. The passenger side cap must be moved over to the driver's side knuckle, and the studs from the driver's side must be moved to the passenger side knuckle

I think the 10 bolt/ D44 requires additional knuckle machining for the passenger side to fit the steering arm. From what I've read, It's one of the best improvements you can make.

I'm putting mine on as a part of a D60/14bff swap, and am sending my "used" 2wd box out to West Texas Offroad to be rebuilt and tapped for a possible future hydro assist installation.

As I understand it, steering box bolts on, arm bolts on drag link bolts on, and that should do it. If 10 bolt/D44, I think you would have pull the passenger's side knuckle to be machined, and then re-install it. No worse than replacing the ball joints IMHO.

Also, after you get the new pitman arm/ steering box and steering arm installed, you would need to measure from the pitman arm to the new steering arm to let Stephen know how long to make the drag link.

Search the site for "crossover steering" to see what others have done with it. Thats where I found the info and 'inspiration' I needed! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck! I know more experienced folks than I are sure to reply with additonal info...

Byron

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

SCJimmy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thats the site I posted. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck! I know more experienced folks than I are sure to reply with additonal info...

[/ QUOTE ]

My disclaimer!
    Ya beat me to it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You were post'in while I wuz typing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

will he have to lose his sway bar to install the cross over set up???

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

yes he will because of the draglink that run across to the other knuckle. there no room to have both.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

considering the axles and tires you run, i prolly wouldnt bother $pending the ca$h on adding xover to your 10 bolt or D44. After the machining and junk x-over aint gonna be cheap... if ur gonna do it, might as well go full 1-ton and do it then.

j