Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover stupid question...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnSPledg, Feb 26, 2003.

1. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Here is a stupid question. On the 2wd steering box, does it need to be 67-72 or will later models fit. I never bothered to think about it before, and I am trying to stock pile my parts.

2. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

Yes but,
    Newer boxes will work. But sometime in the 80s(I think) the lines changed from flare to O-ring. If you get one of those you will have to get a newer pump with O-ring fittings or I think you might could change the adapter on the pump. Not sure about that because I didnt try it but I know it is threaded into the pump.
    You could splice a union into the metal line to change from O-ring at the box to flare at the pump. No problem if you have a flaring tool. But thats two more places for leaks.
    I found a 71 GMC and grabbed the box out of it. I could have just swapped the sector shaft(the easiest option by far) but one of the holes in my 4x4 box was stripped so I swapped the whole thing. Thats another thing. The sector shaft out of the newer box wouldnt work in my older 4x4 box but the older 2x4 one would have. When I held them up next to each other I could see why.

PS What parts do you have so far?

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

As above, but you can also have custom hoses made. A lot of larger parts store now can even do it while you wait.

4. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, i think I know where I can score a nos 2wd sector shaft. Will newer gear boxes bolt up to the frame though, my 2wd truck has armstrong steering and its a lot easier to find a 73-87 truck in the yards than a 67-72.

5. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

I know a mid 80s burb 4x2 box bolted to a 70 4x4 frame.