Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover Summary

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

YES, I DID A SEARCH!!!

Now, just to make sure that I have this correct, I wanted to run it by you guys. I beleive I need the following items: 2WD Steering box, (2) D60 kingpin arms, tie rod w/ 2 TREs, drag link with DRE & TRE, & a Pitman Arm.

Now, if this is correct, the syste, would be setup as this:

2WD box -> Pitman Arm -> TRE -> Drag Link -> TRE -> Passenger Side Kingpin Aarm -> TRE -> Tie Rod -> TRE -> Drivers Side Kingpin Arm

Anyone care to confirm or correct this? Thanks for helping the mecahnically challenged!!

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Typically you also buy an extra set of D60 knuckle studs for the P.S. arm too..... it's one of those little things you forget that will pi$$ you off during the install.......

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So, is that the only thing I missed?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Which pitman are you using? The 1104 that many people use actually takes a TRE.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Was going to go with the Superfilt 1104 that you suggested to me a few weeks back. I guess I'll edit my original post now.

Thanks Shaggy!!

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

To go just standard Crossover, you will not need the left side steering arm nor the tie rod with ends. Now, if you are going to upgrade the tierod - now would be the time to do so (you already indicated you would) and remember, the high steer route will require a shorter tierod than the typical 52" rod used between the factory tierod mounting holes. I think Steve Fox said it was 49" or 3" shorter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My plan is to go the minimal and least expensive first. My steering box is shot and I figure this is a perfect time to buy the 2WD one.

So, maybe a better question would be to ask what would be the least expensive way with only replacing what is required first and doing the upgrade later (such as HD Tie Rod). Thanks.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a passanger side steering arm from Sky... it comes with the stud mounting kit, all new hardware. Its a really beefy arm too... check em out...

[​IMG]

Sky is a good guy. heres a link to his webpage...

sky

I got my tie rod + bent dragling from rockstomper. You dont need a drivers side steering arm for normal crossover... just the pass side, the steering box, pitman, and drag link (rockstomper puts bends in them if u have a low lift). If you're gonna add a beefy new tie rod (always a good idea), its a good time to do that too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j