Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover swap - still having steering issues!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, May 15, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

Ok, here's my latest troubles after the big D60 swap and crossover setup - last night I went out driving the truck, just to see if it would steer any better for me (some had suggested that I just keep driving it a few days and make sure it was totally bled and all). Well, about 10 minutes into my drive, I lost ALL power assist in the steering! It was like I had lost the PS belt or something, so I pulled over and checked - but I had the belt (and it was tight) and all hoses were tight and no leaks at all! So, I manhandled the truck home through traffic with no assist and gave it another lookover - nothing was different than before I went driving - and before I left, it was at least Power Assisted!

Now, a little history - after I finally got all my parts together for this crossover setup, we got it all together last weekend. But, the steering assist was marginal at best when sitting still and not moving...it just didn't have enough power to turn the tires back and forth all the way to the stops...when driving, it was fine. Now, as of last night, there is NO assist at all????

Any ideas? My hopes are that it is a bad PS pump and I will warranty it and it will work?? Also had someone suggest that maybe there is some debris or other obstruction inside the pump, blocking off fluid??

And while I am at it, I think I am gonna pull that AGR steering box off and adjust the "set screw for the free play" the correct way once and for all - can anyone guide me on how exactly to do that??

Any help is greatly appreciated!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I presume it has fluid...? Maybe it foamed up when it bleed itself out, and now is too low on fluid?

Good luck.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I am not up on your saga,
    is the pump a known good?
    I had a pump strip the splines off the pulley shaft inside the pump.
    it all looked like it was working, belt tight, etc but it wouldnt put out.
    when I pulled the belt off the pulley fell out the front of the pump

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If I recall, you changed the Pressure line fitting in the back of the pump right? (what we called "the large nut")
    Did you put it in this order:
    spring
    valve
    fitting

Basically, it sounds like the valve dove deep inside the pump housing and is not pushed up towards the top like it's suppose to, thus causing no power steering....Look into that first. Pump is probably good, but just make sure the spring is pushing the valve up.
    Boss

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Ok let me get the book....................

The over centeradj is the only power steering gear adjustment which can be made, However in order to make this adj, it is necc to check the combined ball and thrust bearing preload.

1. skip
    2.Raise and support front of vehicle so wheels hang free
    3. disconnect pitman arm
    4. loosen the pitman shaft adjusting screw locknut and thread the adjusting screw out to the limit of its travel through the side cover.
    5.remove horn button cap or shroud.
    6 turn the steering wheel through its full travel, then locate the wheel at the center of its travel.
    7.check the combined ball and thrust bearing preload with an inch pound torque wrench on the steering shaft nut by rotating through the center of travel (approximately 1/4 turn in each direction) Note highest reading.
    8. tighten the pitman shaft adjusting screw and check torque at steering shaft nut untill over-center preload and total steering gear preload falls within specifications. refer to torque specs at rear of manual for correct values.
    9. install horn button.
    11. connect the pitman arm
    12.lower vehicle
    13.drink a beer.

For my 75 the total Steering Gear Preload is 14 lb-in max.

Gee hope this helps, im working both tonight and tomorrow night but i might be able to drop by tomorrow evening if you need some help. Good luck.

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Boss, I will check that out first...and yes, I did put the pieces in in that order - spring, valve, fitting...and it did feel as though the spring was "pushing" up as I threaded in the fitting, but I will check it anyways.

As far as the pump, it is a rebuilt unit that I just got new at the parts store last week...I turned my old pump in as a core since it was leaking like a sieve and I didn't feel like rebuilding the seals at the time...it was only a few bucks more for a new/rebuilt pump, so I went that way...

The spring just "falls in" right? I mean, there isn't something that holds it at a certain level or anything right? I just kinda dropped it in there and then dropped in the valve, then threaded in the fitting...

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

But this "center-free play adjustment" stuff wouldn't have anything to do with the actual power steering effort, would it? I mean, even if that was adjusted by the book, it wouldn't make a difference in the power assist of the system would it?

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think Boss is on the right track. Sounds like the pressure bleed off valve is stuck open... For a good article on how it works with pictures, look at the tech section of www.westtexasoffroad.com

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thanks, I saw those mods and they look like something I will try to do...hopefully when I pull the pump out I will see something stuck or something - I hope it is an easy fix! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks for the help, I will let you know how things go!

11. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

if its screwed in to far the gears are being pushed together with too much force, like not having enough backlash in an R&P, they mesh too tightly, thus is would make it harder to turn the wheel.

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, Leland (Raised K5) and I took it apart again last night after we saw that there was no fluid being pumped through the hoses! Took the pump off and then took the fitting off the back. I didn't feel the usual "spring pressure" of the spring trying to push it out while I was unthreading it...and sure enough, when I got the fitting off, the piston was way down there! It was stuck! Fully compressed...we tapped on the outsides of the pump, then finally the piston came free and we fished it out of there...There were metal flecks inside the pump!

We took the reservoir off and sure enough, the magnet in there was covered with metal shavings! WTF?? I went and swapped the pumps at the parts store under warranty. What we were gonna do is hook the pump back up, fill up the pump with fluid and detach the return line from the pump and have it dump into a bucket as we run the truck for a few seconds...this should pump the fluid out of the box, just to make sure we get any more contaminated fluid out right?

What do you think would cause the grinding to occur? Bad pump?

We guessed that what must have happened is that the shavings caused the piston to get stuck...we on the right track here?

13. Boss

well, it sounds like the pump got F'd up from driving with no fluid /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif.

I'm guessing the valve, or what you called the piston blocked the fluid from going through, since it was stuck at the bottom?? Just a guess.
    When you got the new pump, did you get it with the right pressure line fitting already mounted in the back? b/c maybe when you put the new one in the back of your old pump, it went in "funky" (if you know what I mean).
    Boss

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, the pump was full of fluid when we took it off, though? So, there WAS fluid in there...and there was fluid in the box as well, since it started leaking out as soon as we took off the pressure line.

I guess the question is, why was the valve stuck down there? And where are the shavings from? I'm gonna put the new pump back in tonight after work and see what happens. And no, the pump I got was for the o-ring style trucks, but I swapped my flare fitting into it...and I measured everything - the piston (valve), spring and fitting, and they are all identical (except of course for the actual o-ring vs. flare seating surfaces).

15. Boss

Well, to be honest, I really don't know why there were metal shavings...I would assume it's b/c metal parts were not being lubricated properly (PS fluid) as they spun..??

Yes, I know the valve, spring are identical. I did the same as you a while back (swapped over the Pressure line fitting).
    I don't know how your valve got stuck down there though...maybe it went in semi-crooked?? Bad pump? I just knew it had to be a stuck valve when you had no steering assist. Let us know how the new pump works out...
    Boss

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You will definitely hear from me after I put in the new pump! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ha,ha And hopefully it will be to close this long chapter of the Dana 60 swap book! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks for the help!

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

So are you going to be at Los Coyote's this weekend? You need to try and break the D60 sometime!

18. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I will be at Los Coyotes tomorrow, but I will be driving our CJ5, not the Blazer.

I put the new pump in last night. It is working pretty well, but still has problems turning full left when sitting still. I am going to try to get Leland to come over again today to adjust that set screw thingy, I now have an inch-pounds torque wrench to do it with! I want to get that thing set to spec, so at least I can rule that out if it doesn't help...

I drove it last night and it drives great, but once you stop, it just doesn't want to turn to full lock with any authority...I am tempted to try one of those "modifications" from West Texas Off Road, see if that helps...

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What West Texas mods are you trying?

So far no issues at all with my crossover/steering, etc. I also put on a small tranny cooler as a ps cooler, bled the system twice and it seems to be in good shape. No DW either, which I was afraid I might get.

20. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

Keith, i had the same problem with mine when i installed it. up on blocks it would go from lock to lock, but as soon as i put it on the ground it wouldn't do the lock to lock thing. i found it to be the drag link, i had too much of a bend in it, since i didn't install a new cross me member, i used a bent drag link. i straightened it out some an now it works fine.