Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossover/sway bar ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seattle73k5, Jul 7, 2005.

1. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

Can you run crossover with a sway bar? It seems to me that if I am looking at it right the crossover would run into the sway bar during flex is this right or am I looking at things the wrong way?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sway bar? Sway bar? What's that? :haha:

Seriously, I think any rig that ends up with crossover has ... well, crossed over into the territory of not needing a sway bar.

Heck, I've got an otherwise normal *10-bolt* up front and no sway bar and she's almost streetable :haha: it's prolly those damn Rancho springs, stiffer than 1/2" steel plate, I swear, but hey, they were free :deal:

-- A

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Yeah the sway bar goes bye bye. I got rid of mine 3 years ago when I went crossover. My rig is totally streetable. I even pull my 27' trailer no problem. Cornering is still great as well.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the swaybar gets in the way on the passenger side.

Unless you run really stiff springs you need the swaybar in order not to be uncomfortable to drive. My BDS springs will institute so much body roll that it's scary without the swaybar.

My wheeling rig has no swaybar and has crossover. It just rolls over until it hits the bumpstops.

5. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

So your saying that when I put my TC or BDS springs in and xover steer, I will have rendered my rig useless for a DD?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't say "useless"... you just have to relearn how to drive it... taking it easy on corners and such.

j

7. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Well, as an experiment, I took the sway off of my stock Blazer and went for a test ride. The ride on choppy roads seemed to improve slightly, and on the twisty roads, the truck still tracked the same just with a little more body roll. Deffinately not uncomfortable. Now where it seems to make the biggest difference is very quick turns such as an evasive manuver (dodging something in the road and such.) This really needs to be thought about when losing the sway bar. When jerking the wheel the body is very tippy and I would assume would be worse the taller the rig. :doah: One more thing to think about. That's all I need.

8. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have TC springs, crossover, and no sway bar, and I could drive my truck every day no problem if I didn't mind paying for gas and tires. Sometimes I do drive it a lot, it drives fine I think. A little body roll on the sharp turns but it's no problem really.

9. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

You can still use your sway bar, depending on lift, as long as you do not plan on hopping curbs and such, and use sway bar disconnects. I used mine for a month after my crossover was installed with an 8" lift. When I got to the trail, I would disconnect and pull the 4 bolts out and throw it in the back. But it is a big pain, so I rode home without it and never put it back on. I drive my rig everywhere with no concerns at all for 3 years now. Front end tracking is more of a concern for me.