Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover w/no swaybar, truck now bump steers way 2much

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by orlandoc, Oct 15, 2003.

1. orlandoc

orlandoc Registered Member

I got my ORD D60 crossover steering kit and everything worked just as designed, thank you ORD. Truck was driving well with no problems but lately it's almost getting out of control during normal city driving and hitting a small bump. Is there a way to correct this problem? alignment maybe? Please advise.

Orlando /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sounds to me like the infamous DW (Death Wobble). I have started to experience this myself, when I hit a small bump in the road the whole front of the truck starts to shake from side to side for a second or two. I replaced everything on the D60 when I rebuilt the front axle but I believe that either the king pin bushings or the springs are now shot so I ordered a new pair from ORD recently and once I get the garage cleaned up I am going to replace them and see what that does for me.

3. orlandoc

orlandoc Registered Member

Please keep me informed as to how everything works out since I may need to do the same work. I'm experiencing some drivetrain vibration, should I lower the Tcase some to try and correct the problem?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Since you have a 6" lift I doubt you will be able to get rid of ALL the drivetrain vibration by dropping the T-case or shimming the rear axle, but I am sure you can improve upon it. Usually with anything 6" or more of lift on a short wheelbase vehicle such as a blazer you will need a C/V driveshaft to eliminate ALL vibrations. To correctly get rid of vibrations both U-joint working angles need to be the exact same (so they cancel each other out) and also be between 1/2 to 3 degrees on a typical (2) U-joint driveshaft. This is very hard to accomplish on short wheelbase vehicles, you will usually have to sacrifice one for the other or go with a C/V driveshaft. If you go with a C/V driveshaft then you need to point the pinion about 1 or 2 degrees downward of the driveshaft centerline, (this will allow for axle wrap in the upward motion) so when you are driving the pinion is pointing directly at the T-case.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Hopefully kingpin springs and bushings will solve the DW problem and shimming on the rear axle should take care of the vibes. A sub should be able to run a 6" without a CV, especially if you're willing to drop the t-case.