Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Dec 30, 2006.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I may have a lead on a D60, and so I spent today looking at parts for it. Anyway, was looking at crossover, I know you need a 2wd sector shaft for the steering box, and I have a 2wd box somewhere (Lord only knows where its at though), but I seem to recall seeing a post that someone was going to start making, or was already selling a pitman arm, that would let you use your 4wd sector. It was like a factory arm, just indexed around, so that it was left to right, instead of front to back.

Does anyone recall seeing this, or am I just losing it? I cant seem to find mention of it anywhere.

2. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the point of changing the sector shaft to change the direction of the steering?

When i did mine i just bolted a 2WD box on, added a trailmaster Ford drop pitman arm, and bought the cross steer bar. It was one of the ez'er parts of my 3/4 conversion.

[​IMG]

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh that is the point, so that you can use a different pitman arm, to change the direction. But, as I recall, this arm, was supposed to be splined like the factory 4wd arm, only on one side, but the location was to be 90* off of where it was on the factory 4wd pitman.

Thus, the arm would be pointing towards the firewall, and swinging left to right, instead of it pointing at the drivers side marker light and swinging front to back.

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

ahhhh, i haven't heard of that one.

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hmm it sounds cool, I would be interested in it. I imagine it has to be cheaper then a new box and easier to do then switching shafts.