Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crossover

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TheGeneral, Sep 4, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Going to be Sunday before I get the time to install new steering box, wondering if I can slip the drop pitman you sent on my 4wd and send you a measurement for drag link (crossover). Already have the steering block on. The output shaft now a concern, as I can get your arm to slide onto shaft, only concern is does the 2wd box output shaft come out of steering box in same locale. I beleive the pitman you sent me would need to be facing directly to rear of truck from shaft. If this is the case, then this is something I can probably do tomorrow night after work and send you the measurements from eye to eye on the pitman to steering block. Thanks for time.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think our pitman arm will fit at all on the 4wd shaft. You can try it, but I don't think it's going to work.
    If you can get it to work, point it to the rear and measure away, it'll be really close. The shafts are direct replacements for each other, just a different spline and thread on the end.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Steve, as aways thanks for the help. Got a chance to get a set of 39.5 x 18 boggers for pretty cheap. Might do the 2 sets of tires thing cuz the price is right, any problems running this wide of tire on my rig as she sits (6 suspesion, alot of cut out, and 1 inch (haven't put in the 1 yet)? Thanks Steve to you and your Father, been a good learning lesson.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you can make them clear the fenders, you'll have the drivetrain to run them like they need to be. If you can get them, go for it.

Beware of the two sets of tires "trap". I tried it and it just never seemed like I had the right tires. There was more than one trip home from Moab with the smooth street tires in back of the K5 because I didn't want to swap them out for a 3 1/2 hour trip home. For a longer trip, I would probably go ahead and change them, but it's hard to convince me of that at the end of a long weekend on the trail.

Muddy places are kind of a different story, but out in the desert all terrain tires can do well enough offroad that you can just run them all the time without much difficulty. I wore out 2 sets of BFG all terrains and just carried chains for when it got sloppy and was otherwise really happy with them.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>