Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

crossroads in the build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pennsylvaniaboy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. pennsylvaniaboy

pennsylvaniaboy 1/2 ton status

alright guys i would love alot of response on this one from those that do it best. i am at a crossroads in my build up as the trruck is nearing paint time since im on spring break. do i keep going and make it street legal, or purely offroad. the trruck as it sits is a '79 chevy 1 ton with d60/14btff 4.10s, 350, sm465, np205. thr truck will not take alot more work to be streetable mainly paint and odds and ends. but WILL need tires to pass. current ones are 38/15/16.5 TSL's they are good except dryrot. the amout of work i need to still put into it to be street legal i could weld the rear, cage it out, cut the tires, half the doors, and sell my custom interior to the well deserving c/k5'ers out there. so here what i want pictures and advice. whos stuff is street legal and whos is only offroad. pls help me make up my mind this is my first build. i like both ideas but want one.

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i did the street /offroad thing and is sucks the law in NJ is tough and if you have anything then 33s well you get looks from cops but now with the offroad only rig it is nice to beet onthe truck all day and have a rig to go to work the next day i got pics in my sig

3. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Pa is a little different, you can pretty much get away with anything, I say keep it street/offroad, gotta show off the truck on the road sometimes hah..and its nice to just be able to turn off the road onto a trail.

4. pennsylvaniaboy

brownsville

brownsville thats right near where i go to school. im a freshman at california university but there might be more than one brownsville. i like the idea of being able to go go with it and if i see a road to take it, and to show it off. but i do wanna wheel hard at the same time. i kno if i do it nice that im gonna baby it

5. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I live 10 mins away from cal-u hah, def alot of trails around and near here, when I get my truck going we can go wheelin. just throw some smaller tires on it when you get it inspected, and throw your other tires on it once its done.

6. pennsylvaniaboy

awesome

thats aweosem dude ill be back to school after the 18th of march so yeh anyone else got some advice the more the merrier

7. 1982blazer

1982blazer 1/2 ton status

I wuold make it both street legal/offroad becuase, it's fun to be able to drive it on the street. For me it would just suck having to put it on a trailor every time i wanted to drive it. Maybe someday my k5 might be offroad only, only if i do too much stuff to it that won't pass inspection any more.