Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crown King Run--07 Jun 2003--Who's In??

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mosesburb, May 11, 2003.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Crown King Run--07 Jun 2003--Who\'s In??

Lake Pleasant to Crown King run on Saturday, 07 Jun 2003. We will meet up at I-17 and Carefree Hwy on the Southwest Corner (where the old gas station used to be) at 7:00A on Sat. Please be prompt as the later it gets the more packed the trail becomes with floozies. So, if you want to go, post yer intentions so that we don't leave without you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Crown King Run--07 Jun 2003--Who\'s In??

I plan on running it. I will be back from Colorado so unless something goes pretty wrong I should be in. I should have time to get most of my mods done by then too. I will post up if something changes.

Harley

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think I might like to go, but I don't have anything for medium trails. Last time I went in my 75 K5 it seemded more a rutted dirt road than a trail. How is it now? Would a heavy ass 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with rear locker have any trouble?

4. Hossbaby50

Probably not as long as you had a decent size tire on it and a strap point just in case. Some of the turns might be tight and cause you to 3 point them, but no biggy. What about your son's Blazer? Make him take you for a weekend trail ride. I am sure you have taken him on quite a few. Time to repay. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BadDog

33" ATs on it and hooks just in case. The k5 isn't finished, but that's one of the things it's being built for, "scenic" runs just like this. This is a fancy new street truck and a tow rig, I think the biggest worry will be scratches... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I also wonder about it's size going up the cut-back.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I'll be there.

Russ, I don't know what to tell you, other than a quote from the "Guide to AZ Backroads" book. (A book written for the average wheeler)

"Most of this route is easy to moderate, however there are a few difficult places that will challenge stock vehicles....Aggressive stock vehicles with good articulation can get up this trail but they may need to stack rocks or be helped with a tow strap"

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll be there with my wife.

8. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Size shouldn't be a problem, I went up with a crew cab PSD once. It only need a strap at the ledge and I've heard that some jack hammered it a last year so stock 4x4s can make it.

I'm hopping to make this trip but I need to do some short shake down runs before taking it that far out. Just wanting to get my rear drive shaft and then I can start driving it.

Mike

9. DGR

DGR Registered Member

I'm interested in going if you have room for another truck. We went back in march, also left early and made the run encountering only five others all day. I'll be in the suburban again. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey David, bring that big boy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Are you bringing the family?, I plan on it, my wife will get a kick out of Crown King /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. DGR

DGR Registered Member

Fred, sorry the wife will be working and oldest daughter taking the SAT test so just me and the two younger kids.I still need to cut the fenders or they will be ripped off. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was talking to a guy who ran the trail last October/ November and he said that above the step there was a pretty serious wash out that he heard, had closed the trail. Anybody been up there since then? Anybody know who to call to check?
    Mark

13. mosesburb

A customer of the shop was supposed to, and I believe that he did, run it last weekend. He pilots a Toyota 4-Skinner (with running boards /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), so if he can make it we should be cool. He is supposed to be in the shop tomorrow so if he shows I will interrogate him and post the results /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

14. Hossbaby50

Did the guy mention what was washed out? Was it the creek bed just past the step? Or was it where the road turns just past the water tank? There is a decent hole that you have go toward a ledge to get around that might have washed.

The creek probably wouldn't be that bad if it washed. It doesn't have any places to die so you can road build and improvise. Maybe a larger truck could get over and help tug other across.

15. BadDog

From what I remember, if it's washed out past the tank, in the old railroad cutback, that would be a serious problem... Especially for my 7000 lb '02.

16. mosesburb

My customer that ran it last weekend (and has run it SEVERAL times in the past) came in this AM and said it seemed the same to him. He said if I hadn't mentioned anything, he wouldn't have thought it was any different, other than having some water flowing in some of the normally dry stream beds. He said one step seemed a bit worse than it had been, but his non-lifted Toyota 4-Skinner still has its running boards on it (and they are still straight), so it can't be that bad. This being the case, I think we're still good-to-go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

17. Hossbaby50

Ya, that would be a major problem that would be unpassable for any of us except maybe the real narrow. But it sounds like everything is ok from what Mosesburb says.

18. DGR

DGR Registered Member

A small group from work ran this trail on Feb. 22 2003 and the trail seemed fine. Past the ledge was a small rough spot but we all made it easy and all our vehicles were stock or close to it. From the looks of most of your trucks you should have no problems at all. I ran it in a 3/4t suburban so anyone can do it. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I'd love to go. I made it in my stock Jimmy with 31X10.50 and no lift. I may have to work that Saturday..Stupid inventory..

20. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

im really gonna try to run w/ you guys ,,,sounds fun gonna get some of the tucson guys (JIMMYJACK) and some others to go ....cant wait to meet everyone Don