Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crown King with my fam.

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by SlyDog, Apr 10, 2001.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

hey! I'm doing crown king this Sunday(Easter)! How hard is it? I know I've done it before but it was a long time ago. Maybe some of ya could stop by "accidently" and do some wheeling (we'll be in our yukon one of the few who use the newer 4x4's its covered in dents and desert pin stripes so its taken some abuse).

- SlyDog [​IMG]

2. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

I here it's pretty bad I know a couple of Jeep's that had a lot of problems. Don't know if a full size will make it. Lots of wash out's and mud. If your going the back way.

87 blazer :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by haulgas on 04/11/01 02:05 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Yea there must be a couple different trails cause we've done it before so who knows . . .

- SlyDog [​IMG]

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Slydog, I wish I could head up with you, but I work Sundays. Crown King back trail is long, but really scenic. (watch out for all the quads- they're everywhere[​IMG]) It's not extreme, maybe a 2 or 3. Last time I was up there, the usually toughest part of the trail- the rock step near the Oro Bell- had so many rocks stacked, it was almost easy........

Haulgas- don't believe everything you hear from somebody who drives .... nevermind, I won't say it[​IMG]. It's a good trail with plenty of bypasses[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Slydog...ran the trail last saturday....and it will be the last time i do so on the weekend...its starting to resemble I-10 rush hour at 5pm. Like FWP said...the worst part of the whole trail is right before the Oro Belle mine....and that nasty left turn to exit the Oro Belle proper and start your ascent up into Crown King. Allthough last weekend was kinda like ameteur night...or run what ya bring night at the local track....i watched a brand new F350 XCab Long Bed 4x4 literally taco his pretty paint to match running boards...hehehe...and i had to winch a 78ish K10 out of one of the by passes due to picking the wrong line. Would sneak up there for the hell of it but my steering column is still sitting in the vise....managed to break the horn contact while installing the Grant steering wheel coupler....oops. Have a great time and enjoy the scenery!

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Doug, you went and didn't tell me...... Baaaad AZBlazer[​IMG].

[​IMG]

7. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey guys just got back! We didnt have and trail carnage but we smelled burnt rubber on the rocks hehe. I saw a red k5 with white top was it any of ya? I got pics post em later.

- SlyDog [​IMG]

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Baaad FWP....moved into new house and the Phx boys hadn't heard from him in some time...lol. Besides it was a last minute thing....didn't finish saz-alling the front fendy's till 10 pm...and was up and out by 5am. trail was crowded and clogged...but that red toy we saw is now totally stripped of all the good parts....its time to mount a semi air tank in the bed...50ft or so of airline etc....lol.

Nope wasn't any of us slydog...spent the early hours walking to azone today...have the steering coulmn out of the 79 and the Chalet fragged a ignition module today...whats the odds of having tow K5's and they both won't run...that Murphy guy...lol. Anyways they are both back up and functional as of tonight...allthough i think i'll leave the 79 down a bit more to strip the front of the cab to finish the herculiner job and to install a rubber mat instead of carpet....plus i need to do the TBI swap while she is down....so much to do ....so little time...lol.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

9. FWP

FWP CRS

OK, now that you mention it, I'm glad I didn't have to put up with all the knotheads on the trail on a Saturday[​IMG]. What are the odds of having both Chevys down at once? Hmmmm, I have a story there about 5 vehicles down at once, one after the other, same day[​IMG], ask me about it sometime.

Slydog, plan something on a Saturday, or late in the week, and I'm there.........

[​IMG]

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Bob and i are headin to Bisbee friday am to make the copper queen mine tour at noon....lieghs best friend Beth is gettin hitched and Liegh is the maid of honor...and Beth is her maid of honor at our wedding....lol. Anyways its a perfect excuse to get some nice pics of the chalet down in Bisbee and poss Tombstone...hehehe. Get with me when you get back from your trip...maybe Leigh and i and poss Bob can come up on a saturday to visit and do dinner up your way.....course i've never ventured into the bars around whiskey row either....hhmmmm.

The chalet acted a little weird today....it had a slight poping in the exhaust on the right bank...i was thinkin worst case...valve problem....turns out the ignition system was fine and the quick but brutal run on the dyno at work dealt with a carbon build up quite well...hehehe.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

11. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering where you pick up this trail? i'm looking @ a map and i'm thinking of checking out the 60-52-57 from lake pleasent to prescott and i see it goes through crown king. has anyone ever taken this trail? how rough and how long do you think it is?thanks