Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Crud plugging engine coolant drains - common?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jed, May 24, 2002.

1. Jed

Jed Registered Member

I'm doing a flush of the cooling system and when undoing the engine drains on the sides of the block one was stuck hard enough that I left it and the other opened but was full of crud.

The drain that opened was the one on the driver's side that was like a cap on a threaded tube (the drain on the other side just looked like a bolt.). The tube was packed full of dry black stuff like dirt (smelled like antifreeze). Is this rust that the antifreeze has 'treated'? I managed to pick some of it out of there but either I've hit the end of the tube dealy or there's a lot more crud in it.

Anyway, has anyone else encounted this and should I keep mining away on the drain until some coolant flows out? I'm going to back flush the system and then run a prestone cleaner through it before refillling it. Oh yeah, it's a small block 400 if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance!

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's too normal...but hopefully it's just the drain that's bad. Flush it good. And keep a check on it. Don' t worry too hard.

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if you are referring to the coolant jacket drains on each side of the block just above the oil pan, it is not uncommon for them to be plugged, most have pipe plugs screwed in them. remove the pipe plug and dig up in there with a screw driver till the coolant comes out, after the coolant drains out dig around some more and flush it out with water before reinstalling the plugs.

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

It is common, good thing they are on the bottom like they are!

5. Jed

Jed Registered Member

Thanks guys. Glad it's not a clear sign of imminent engine death. I'm going to add a temp guage to keep an eye on things.