Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise and Kayline

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Anyone know why my cruise control will only work when the windshield wipers are on? Also, any news on Kayline, are they close to a deal?
    Thanks

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

That happened to me a while back! Used to piss me off no cruise in the rain or go to change lanes and the cruise would stop. Dealt with it for years then woke up not lazy one morning!

The lever or switch was bad. Bought it from the dealer 5 years ago? ($75 bucks?) CHA CHING! Get an after market or one from Cheyenne, LMC or other. Open door push in on lever towards column(spring loaded), rotate 1/4 turn to left, comes straight out. Disconnect harness , reattach and insert truning to the right. Don't think there's a need to disconnect battery.

Piece of cake.

See if there are other responses .... but worked for me!

3. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

What year does this apply to? I have an 86 and the set button is missing from the cruise. Also, the parts guy said something about having to run the wires down through the column.
    JC

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine is a 86 also,And I need to replace mine to. From what I heard you have to attach some kind of heavy fishing line on the back end And pull the old one out. Then use the line to pull the new one in. I haven't done it yet because the dealer wanted $115.00 for it. LMC has it for a lot less. But in this case. I think you get what you pay for. And I hate having to do it again in a year are so. That is on the bottom of my list of things to do. I can live with out cruise control for awhile. I'm in the middle of replacing gears and having a rear bumper made. Then a winch and YADA YADA YADA . So it will be awhile

[​IMG]

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You just have to turn and yank on it and it pops right out.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Not on a 86. It is all one piece. The wires are attached to it and fallow down threw the column.

[​IMG]

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I have an 88.

Sorry! Forgot about that part. I also heard about having to use the piano wire ... I can't remember how I did it! I do know I used "Spider Wire" for strength when pulling the harness (wire) back down. I think there is a way to disconnect the wire half way down the column where I attached the spider wire ( in a black plastic sleave) ... pulled the harness out the top ... disconnected the spider wire ... reattached the new harness and pulled it down through. Lots of things to get hung up on, but got lucky ... it was a piece of cake!