Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control for 88 crew cab?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5DRAGER, Jan 4, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Looking for a pic of the cruise control that would be on a 88 crew cab with 454 and any other info you might have on it. Mine does not have it and I would like to install it since this will be seeing alot of towing. Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Cruise on the later trucks (like yours I'm assuming, doubt TBI trucks controlled cruise via the ECM) was handled by VSS, plus the brake pedal switch, cruise turn signal stalk, cruise box, (above gas pedal) and the vacuum setup on the engine which pulls the throttle.

Your truck has VSS, there are a few different "buffers" (trace the 2 or 3 wires coming from the back of the speedo, you'll find it), usually light green or yellow, and on the "downstream" (ECM) side, there will be a "spare' terminal. The cruise plugs right into this, runs to the box, then from the box to the control on the engine.

Sounds complex, but not really, it's much better than the earlier transducer style. Your truck is setup for it, you just have to find the right parts. Any Chev truck in the 80's that has cruise, but does NOT have a two piece speedo cable with the transducer, will be a donor for all the parts you'll need, minus the possible difference in the VSS buffer. (the ECM/cruise side VSS plug setup can be different, but that may have been a car vs. truck deal) Regardless, VSS is easy to change if you need to, it's not hard wired to anything.

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dyeager, now I have a few things to go look at when it stops snowing.