Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise Control Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by taz8000, Feb 4, 2001.

1. taz8000

taz8000 Guest

My CC in my '87 K5 does not work. everything seems to be in place, no toasted wires or vac leaks, etc. The damn thing just dosent do anything. If someone has a troubleshoot or service manual info i'd appreciate it. olivier.deblaere@pandora.beThanks Oliver
    Luke

2. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i have a problem with mine too. still cant figure out what is wrong, but i hears a comon problem is the wires is the blinker arm get frayed. just pull it out to check it

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you checked the fuses? If it is blown that could be a sign of the frayed wire in the signal stalk, or somewhere else.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Mine doesn't work either, what's the easiest way to get into the steering column to see if any of the wires are frayed? Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

ONly way I can think of is to find the connector down on the firewall end of the column (very small connector) and tie a string to it. Pull the turn signal stalk out the side of the column (just pulls out, but be careful not to break the wires, it takes some force to pull it straight out) and try and pull the wires up through. Definitely check every other aspect first, because you will be tearing that column down to the smallest pieces if you have to fish that wire back through there with no string on it...it will likely be frayed only near where the tilt mechanism is, so you shouldn't have to pull it out too far.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Hi, I recently bought an 85 K5. The glovebox contained all original paperwork, EVERY invoice for repairs and replacement parts. One Invoice said the following.
    Cruise Control not working.
    The mechanic wrote beside this, speed sensor not detecting..Replaced speed sensor. Maybe that's your problem?

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I can tell you just about anything you need to know... considering I fix this kinda crap everyday, yet can't find the time to fix it in my own truck LOL. First check the fuse and vac lines, connects etc. Next you would test the servo. connect an ohmmeter and read the resistance between the second pin in on each side (B and D). If I remeber right A is closet to you and E is farthest away or toward the pass side. Should be between 20 and 30, if it isn't then the servo is bad... You can also start the truck and manually work the servo by sending a jumper lead from the pos batt terminal to A and E and connect a wire from a ground to C... does the servo pull in? If it doesn't pull the hose and check for vacuum... also make sure no one is hitting the clutch or brake. If everything else is good... replace the servo. If it does pull in... pull out the connector from E... if it stays... everything servo wise is good... if it doesn't... pull off the larger hose from the servo and plug it good... reconnect E... if it pulls back in and stays once E is released you have a leak somewhere or either the brake or clutch release valve need adjustyment or replacement... if it still dies out the servo is leaking and needs replacement. Well hope that all kinda makes sense without any picutres or diagrams... that covers the servo... other thgings would be the switch (at this pointI'd replace it and see what happens) or else you have broken wires somewhere which is a bear to deal with. If you have access to a fax machine I could fax you the info from our shops All Data... or possibly could scan it in sometime early next week. Good luck... let me know if I can be of help

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI