Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise control quit working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 21, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My cruise just stopped working yestreday on a road trip. It worked the first time I used it, then it had to tunr it off, and i couldn't get it to work again...where should i start lokking for problems with it? The fuse is ok, what else? thanks

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

There are a few things I would check.
    1.) My initial thought was the fuse, but you checked that.
    2.) The actual linkage from the cruise control diaphragm to the tbi.
    3.) Vacuum lines which power the unit.
    4.) The switch to turn on and off the cruise control itself. (The lever on the steering column.)
    5.) ??? anybody else

3. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

dyeager535 had a reply post about it a couple weeks ago,, do a search... I used it myself to fix my faulty cruise.
    think post was named cruise even, I got alzheimers tho so dont quote me on that /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

The problem with mine, plus on my 86 Pontiac, plus what I see a lot of at the junkyard, is right on the turn signal stalk. Look behind it and you'll see where the control cable exits the stalk and disappears into the column. On my truck and the rest of the vehicles I mentioned, the cable was cut almost in two from the windshield washer switch. Pushing it, if so equipped, turned a separate plastic sleeve that would cinch the cruise cable.
    That's the first place I'd check.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah i was thinking aobut that too. I tried putting my blinkers and high beams on, hoping to get a connection, but that never worked...looks like i'll have to take the column apart sometime.

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

The cruise control stalk cable runs down the center of the steering column and has a wierd plug on the end that plugs into a module right under the dash under the column. It's possible to remove the cable without taking the column apart and possible, albeit difficult but I have done it, to thread the cable for a replacement without taking the column apart as well.

7. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

bad module.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I messed ariund with the cruise cable thing and now it works...hopefully for the trip back today.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Worked one, but never agian. The vacuum lines and the linkage are all good, I think its the module. They are $70 at AutoZone, may be going to the junkyard. Anyone know of other cars that have the same module as our trucks?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you search for my post and use the steps in the troubleshooting procedure? These things aren't hard to test, there isn't much to them.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I did a search last night and saw all of your posts...gonna look at it later today probably. I think its either the brake pedal switch or the control stalk wiring

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, got the stalk off, but can't find what happens to the wires from it. I see they go into a black sheath, but I don't see where it goes...anyone know where it goes down the column? If I can't find it, where exactly is the crusie module? I can get it there. Couldn't find that either for some reason

13. dyeager535

the cruise wires are extremely small (probably smallest gauge used in the trucks) and usually just kind of dangle near the ignition switch. The connector is just a press together white (at least from what I've seen) plastic piece.

The cruise box should be over the gas pedal.

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Whereabouts is the ignition switch?

15. dyeager535

Top or just off to the side of the column, near the base where it goes through the firewall. You'll see two metal rods on the drivers side/top of the column, one goes to the headlight dimmer switch (flash the high beams while watching down there, you'll see which one moves) and the other rod goes into the ignition switch with a 90* bend.

Ign switch has two wiring plugs that appear to be one piece, one of the connectors is blue, can't remember the other color. Only three "devices" bolted to the column down there for wiring: dimmer, ign switch, and the neutral start switch, which is almost horseshoe shaped.

16. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

hey dorian where is the cruise control fuse lo /forums/images/icons/confused.gif cated ?????

17. dyeager535

Well, according to MJ's '85 wiring diagram online, it appears that cruise was not fused like the others, but ran off of the accessory "ignition" port, which is the third row from the drivers side of the panel, as installed. (should be solid pink wires to those terminals, believe the connectors are dk blue)

Looks like if fuse #4 blows ("IGN", right under the accessory port I mention above) then it will take out Cruise. Should also take out the power rear window.

The manual online doesn't show the back of the fuse panel for clarification (my '86 wiring manual at home does) but I believe that to be correct...the "IGN" fuse handles CC.

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got a new control lever, so the cruise works, but i messed up my highbeams somehow, and the dental floss i was using to pull the wire through broke so i just let the wire hang, and the plastic piece on my column broke, so it sucks a lot and my truck has that "just stolen" look. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Man, if it would have happened a few weeks earlier, i would have given you the after market cruise system that i just gave to another guy for free!

20. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, oh well, it shouldn't take too much to fix my stuff now