Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise control servo and other problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hobbes9112, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

I recently bought a 1985 Jimmy. It is from California and unfortunately, I am finding all kinds of modifications that were made by the last owner. The truck has the CCC and ESC, but there are no places in the fuse box for ecb i and ecb b fuses. For some reason, the ESC still works. The restrictor caps are broken loose and I can actually adjust the air/fuel mixture. I have finally got the carburator adjusted so that it will run halfway decent.

My cruise control isn't working and everytime the transmission shifts into overdrive, the radio fuse blows. I tried swapping out the cruise module and the cruise still doesn't work. I looked around the boards and I have read about a "Cruise Servo" It is supposed to be on the drivers side firewall. I don't see anything and I am wondering if someone could post a picture of what I should be looking for.

I also have a group of wires that aren't hooked up that I am posting some pictures at the link below.

Mystery Wire

Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated! I am about to lose it. I have never had to mess with a computer controlled or California equipt vehicle. This thing is driving me nuts.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Cruise parts link at bottom

Must be missing it, don't see a pic with mystery wires per se.

I'm wondering if your CCC system isn't working properly at all, (as in dead/disconnected ECM) just a hunch.

3. Hobbes9112

I know it is pretty hard to see. If I get a chance, I am going to put up better pictures tomorrow. Look at "Jimmy b 004" or "Jimmy b 005". The wire is sitting on the driver's side inner fender near the wiper fluid bottle.

I thought that the ECM was disconnected too. But yesterday when I adjusted the timing, everytime I would move it forward, the computer kept retarding it. That leads me to assume that the ESC is working. The strange thing is that there aren't even connectors in the fuse box for the ECM anymore. The spots are labeled, but there are no contacts for a fuse to plug into. I am starting to worry that the last owner might have rewired this thing.

P.S. Thanks for the diagram!! It looks like I don't even have the servo. I guess I have learned not to buy a truck on eBay!

4. Hobbes9112

I printed the diagram of the cruise system and took it out to the truck. I am pretty sure that the wire in question is the cruise control harness. It is taped to a vacuum hose that I think is part number 4. It looks like the last owner removed the servo, the mounting bracket, the rod and link. I imagine it is going to be pretty expensive to buy these parts. He supposedly rebuilt the engine and transmission last year.

I asked this guy before I bid if all of the features (e.g power windows, cruise, etc.) worked. He told me yes. When it got here, the heater core was in a box, the passenger side window was installed wrong and was stuck in the door crooked, now the cruise system is missing half of it's parts. Needless to say I will be leaving negative feedback.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

wires taped to hose are definitely cruise ones yes

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Very common in wrecking yard, I think cars are the same/similar enough to use.

7. Hobbes9112

I found a reman servo at NAPA for about $70. The dealership wants $350. The brackets and wiring have been discontinued so I am going to go hunt around the salvage yards. Thanks for all of your help!