Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise Control????Still not working...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Jun 13, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

OK, I have checked the fuse and replaced the control arm in the column and it still does not work.

What is my next step to get it working?

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

2. 1990SilveradoK5

Any Input???

Looking for advice on what I can do this evening. I am driving the Blazer 4 hours north tomorrow and would like to have my cruise control working.

Thanks in advance

Keith

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Good luck. I posted a cruise control Q and didn't get any help. I guess cruise control isn't common and even less if it works.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

4. 1990SilveradoK5

If the vacuum line coming off the top of the cruise control mechanism had a slight leak could that be my problem?

I have not confirmed that it leaks but both ends are dry rotted.

Keith

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

have you checked out the cruise unit itself? checked all the vaccuum (if it's a vaccuum CC) lines, speedo cable, servo at the throttle, etc.?

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

6. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Both times my steering column was taken apart and put back together my cruise control majically worked for about a week....then stopped working. I would say a switch or somthing...

Well i guess it isn't the switch...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigblue on 06/13/01 10:35 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If it had a slight leak I would think it would try to work, but if I read you right, then it just doesn't flat work. I don't know much about the cruise control. That's why I had posted a Q about it. LOL!

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my problem was due to the linkage at the throttle arm. that may not be the culprit, but it's a guess.
    good luck, and have a safe trip.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

9. 1990SilveradoK5

I just replaced the one vacuum line that I thought might be suspect, and it still don't work. I guess I will have to go thru it after I get back from my trip and make sure I have no other leaks.

I know I do not have a large leak because if I remove that line (simulating a large leak) the truck idles like S#!t so if any leak it would have to be a small one.

However it doesn't even try to engage, if it was a small vacuum leak would it not try then release due to not having the seal? I almost suspect it is the cruise unit itself under the hood.

Don't need the cruise that bad right now, will have to wait if I find out it is more than $50 to get fixed.

Keith

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You might want to check some voltages on the power to the unit with a cheap multimeter or test light, just to see if the unit's actually getting juice. Then at least you can be 100% certain it's electrical. Have you tried to jump the wires to simulate switch activity? I'd say try that down at the base of the column.
    My wife's car has a non-functioning cc, but I never bothered with it (she drives around town, no highway). Maybe tonight I'll get off my arse and take a look at it... I'll let you know what I find, if I fix it. I've seen so many CC's go bad or stop working that I'd seriously believe they have a common cause of failure.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sorry I don't have my truck or car manual here at work with me : ( I *know* for a fact that the 1985 car service manuals have a CC diagnosis section in them, how to pinpoint the problem. Not sure if my '86 GM truck service manual has one or not.

All I know about the setup is from my car, and my dad putting a newer (1980's "computer" controlled) CC in his truck.
    Since the units ARE so common in reality, I would find one of the computer CC boxes out of a wrecking yard. Not sure what year they started using them in trucks, but cars, it was right around '81. Any truck without a drivers fender mounted transducer is computer controlled. Car/truck are the same.

Another idea...does your torque converter lockup? (test? cruise on freeway, keep throttle steady, LIGHTLY tap brake..can you feel or hear the RPM's change?) If the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) is faulty, you wouldn't have cruise. I *believe* that on your vintage though, a faulty VSS would cause the ECM to throw a code, since VSS signal goes to ECM, as well as helping govern converter lockup, and cruise control. So if no codes, I would leave VSS alone. If no lockup though, it *could* be the CC box over the drivers pedal.

Just some ideas. I'm betting its something to do with power supply and what not. You tried fuses? Not sure if the CC uses one, probably does.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

12. 1990SilveradoK5

I think the thought now is electrical. I will check the unit with a volt meter when I get the chance after my trip.

Don't think I have time tonight, have to take the kids to grandma's house and do the shopping fo the the trip.

Blazer should look cool cruizing north with 2 17' canoes on top of it.

Keith

13. 87JIMMYVA

87JIMMYVA Registered Member

Try changing the turn sigial arm if that is were the switch is mounted did that for my 87 and it works fine now. Also think the speed sincer is in the speedo meter they are light dios.

Roger.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 87JIMMYVA on 06/13/01 04:23 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Besides the switch on the wheel, there is a servo inside the engine bay, should be on the driver's side of the distributor (pain in the butt to take off and test) and then there's an ECM for the cruise underneath the dash, to the right of the go pedal. These are electrical tests. When I troubleshooted mine, I came to the conclusion that the servo is bad. When the CC went, it would go off, come on, so on......But I haven't replaced the servo, so hopefully when I finally replace it, I will have CC.

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

15. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

Cruise Control ? whats that lol

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jimjim.coloradok5.com>http://jimjim.coloradok5.com</A> Not all Hispanics drive lowriders

16. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Steering column removed twice...worked for awhile. Do you have tilt? And even if not....bet it's a wire problem down the column.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

17. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I bought a blazer recently, in the paperwork that came with it, there was a repair to the cc.
    It said 'no speed sensor detected' - replaced...$135...
    cc works fine...