Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control--VSS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

After a 1200 mile trip, I would like to get cruise control. I am thinking that all of the CC componets are missing. The truck has been converted to a eldelbrock 1407 carb from the Q-jet. Does anyone have any ideas? I was looking at jcwhittney and they have some kits, but some require the existing Vehical Speed Sensor (VSS). Where is this located?

thank you

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you were a member, I'd suggest http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181533&highlight=cruise hitting up the instigator of that thread with a PM asking to buy it.

VSS on any of our trucks approx. '83-89, is on the back of the speedometer. Someone would really have to put some effort in to pull that portion.

The box shown in the above post is mounted above the gas pedal area.

3. mostwanted

I suppose it is still there. I assumed that it was in the engin compatment. Anyhow, how does this interface with the throttle?

4. dyeager535

There is a vacuum diaphram mounted on the intake that has an electrical connector and vacuum source. It pulls on the throttle when commanded, to take up the slack until at the right speed. VSS compensates for the varying throttle necessary with different engine loads. (climbing hills, descending, etc)

In the post I linked, the picture shows the "brains" of the unit, the cruise control box, along with the other wiring. There are some other components (brake switch for instance) as well.

5. mostwanted

so what if this stuff is missing and I have a aftermarket carb? I am planning to buy the Holley TBI kit in the future

6. dyeager535

If it's all missing, you'd have to replace it all I guess, and no idea about the carb. I'd imagine though that as long as you can figure out how to hook the linkage up to the throttle shaft on the carb, it would work regardless of who made the carb.