Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise Control with sm465?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Sep 8, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

At some point I will be swapping my 1990 K5 engine (that is currently in front of a 700r4) into a 79 pickup that has a sm465.

Just wondering how "smart" the cruise control is :confused: I don't know if GM ever offered cruise with a manual, and I know with my system the cruise would NOT shut off if I depressed the clutch. Just wondering if it would work...

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just put a switch on the the clutch pedal like the one they use on the brake pedal that way if you push in the clutch or step on the brakes int disenages the CC:D

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You know that brings up a better question, what about your VSS. On your '89 isn't it part of the tcase?

And doesn't the ECM use the VSS for cruise?

4. B_to_C

For the last time....I HAVE A '90! :haha:

I have PM'd NorthWest Fab about their 205 VSS setup that is supposed to come out this year, but they haven't gotten back to me yet :confused:

The question basicially assumed I could get the VSS signal from the T-case (which is doable supposedly, but a bit of a challenge).

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

6. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i have a 89 blazer that i put a 465/205 in it cc works great, still cuts of when i hit the brake just like before.

7. B_to_C

Wow, so does that doohickey just attach to where the cable would exit the t-case and turns that into th 40ppm that we need for our TBI systems? That seems way too easy....never came up in my searches. So you're using a DRAC and dash that uses an electronic speedometer james?

8. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

Depending on how pretty your vehicle is, I have heard of people installing shifter knobs and cables from bicycles and attaching the lever to the shifter and the cable to the throttle on the carb/tbi.. It should work just like a cruise except with no brake shut off, and would help in off roading in the slow technical stuff. Instead of having to have 3 feet, you could operate the gas with your thumb on the shifter.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nope, no Drac or electric speedo. That Vss just screws into the t-case then my stock speedo cable screws into it. In other words it's an inline unit. Before my speedo cable just went direct to the t-case.

I know squat about the Drac/ electric speedo set-up.

10. B_to_C

Ok, did some more research on that. If I went your route and kept the cable driven speedo from the 79 (while still telling the ECM about vehicle speed with the connector you linked to) I would no longer have cruise control, or an easily adjustable speedo (or ABS but that's not such a concern).

I just wish NWF had their setup ready to sell. Without it, or some machine work on the 205, like this guy did: http://medusa.ih8mud.com/NP205/Doubler.html I don't know what to do in order to keep my DRAC.

*my above posts should have said 40 PPR (pulses per revolution) not 40 PPM.

11. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You could always "retrofit" the earlier cruise/VSS system.

I don't like them as much as the electric speedometer/case mounted VSS, but that's mostly just personal preference.

Re-reading, I'm a bit confused, since you mention 205, but 1990 K5 engine. As I interpret your situation, the above solution would work though.

kennyw is ebaying an earlier cruise system I see...

13. dyeager535

'90-91 for the VSS NP241 trucks, apparently 1991 only for 205.

14. mrk5

You don't need stinking cruise control anyways, girly-man. The rest of us neanderthals do just fine with a mechanical speedo.

Actually my thought is couldn't you get the do-hickey that you need for the transfer case from the dealer. If it came on '91 version 205s, maybe it's available. Then we can just swap the instrument cluster into the '79.

And it's an '89 until you stop getting all uppity about it being a '90 like you're something special. :tongue1:

15. dyeager535

I recall I had looked into it, as usual GM disco'd the part, even though it's less than 15 years old and would take up about 3 inches on a shelf somewhere. :(

16. mrk5

That figures. :rolleyes: