Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Apr 9, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

my 85 has cruise control but it doesent work, its has a vacume servo and the switch is on the wiper arm. anyone have any ideas

2. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Cruise control on a blazer?? Hows that work in 4wheel drive?

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Your turn signal lever is removable, I am sure if you gently remove it, by pulling out, you will find there is a black wire attached to it. Inside this wire is four wires, red, black,yellow and blue. Chances are that the constant usage of the turn signal has broken the wires. I had to remove mine and soldered the wires back together. But they broke again. So I hit the wrecking yard for another. Almost any chevy product will have the same lever, just be careful removing it. The wire in it's present situatuion is run inside the steering column I just tie wrapped mine to the column instead of trying to pull it all apart. Just remove the plastic and steel piece beneath the steering column, and you will see where it connects to. Good luck...any questions just ask...

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

THANKS FOR THE INFO ABOUT THE CRUISE CONTROL IM GOING TO TRY IT TOMMOROW, WOULDNT THE FUSE BLOW IF THE LEDS CONNECTED?

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

no need to yell....
    The voltage on these wires is really low,about 5 volts, they are sense leads to the computer controlled cruise control. Actually they are meant to touch each other, through the use of the switch in the turn signal lever.

6. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

So you just pull the turn signal lever out or is there a screw or a clip or something? Mine has been acting up for a while but I didn't know how to take the turn signal lever out. If it's that easy, I might just have to try it.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The switch in the column is pricy at GM...about $85 bux...try this place..they rebuilt my tilt column and sell used parts...better yet they are in NY...www.columnsgalore.com.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a couple of disengage switches on the brake peddle that kill the cruise when you hit the brakes. Check them. They are prone to poping loose. A small radiator clamp will work if they don't want to hold posistion.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

9. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I had a vacuum line get cracked and fall off which screwed up my cruise. Also my metal connecty thing on the front of that cruise "plunger thing" on the firewall cracked and fell off too....good ol' zip tie fixed mine up....i need a new zip tie about once a year.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hadn't even thought to bring it up, but since someone else did...
    My cruise looks like the control rod between the vacuum servo and the throttle lever is missing. Should I just bend up some coathanger and call it done, or is there a specific length it needs to be?? My Haynes manual says NOTHING about it; I get more frustrated with that book every time I open it...someone please tell me Chiltons is better so I can justify the $25 to the boss-lady? Thanks, folks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have found that Chilton doesn't cover cruise either.
    to remove the handle push in on the handle and twist it... I can't remember if it's foreward or backward now but Napa sells the handle for $65
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I got my replacement from a junk yard for $5.00, and got it off a buick car....it is the same lever for most GM products. Just pulled it out and gently tugged on the wire and it came right out of the column...