Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cruise Control

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2puller, Nov 27, 2004.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Both my rigs Cruise has stopped working. I don't know where to begin as I have no working knowledge of the cruise system. Anybody have some starting points or common problems they could share.
    One rig is a 86 suburban 350/th400
    and the other is a 6.2l/700r in a 83 C10.

Thanks
    Nate

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

make sure the linkage is still hooked up, you should see on the driver side of the engine going from the servo to the carb/tbi, also the servo might have a hole in it, its round a black works off vacume so if it gets a hole or tear it will not work

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I went to autozone, picked up the cruise control switch on their 'Do-it-your-self" aisle....used a knife to open the package very neatly where it could be re-closed if needed. Unhooked the crusie switch under the dash, and attached the new switch to the harness (without actually mounting it to the column.) that fixed it, so I returned the switch to autozone (which was around $30) and ordered my more expensive chrome version (Silverado trim).

4. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Was your switch on the column/directional lever?
    My C10 is a plain black switch but the burban is a silverado with intermittent wipers so that would be a tad pricey.

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yeah on the column with intermittent wipers. You can pick one up at Autozone or O'Reilly's. They are in their "HELP" section, where you find all the window cranks and what-nots for your cars.

The black ones like these are run about $30. I needed a chrome one that was exactly like it, just chrome...they run about $60-$90 depending where you get it. I didn't want to spend $60 not knowing if that would fix the problem, so I bought the cheaper "HELP" version, seen that it would work, and returned it and got my money back.

In your case, buy it, hook it up (don't install it in the column yet, just hook up the harness under the dash)...take it down the road and hit the cruise. If it works, install it in the column. On the trucks with the column mounted switch, I would say 9 times out of 10 the problem is teh switch.

If it doesn't work, take the switch back and get your money back, then look for another problem.

Not sure what the c-10 one even looks like, so you're on your own there /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Also, after I bought my new chrome switch, I noticed it looks like yuo can take a couple of real small "c" clips off of the levers, and take the chrome pieces off and swap them onto the new cheaper black lever.

6. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem before on a Sub, and it was the cruise control switch/stalk mounted on the column.