Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Apr 13, 2001.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my cruise control doesn't seem to be working. i haven't even looked under the hood yet, are there any obvious things i should check? any standard gremlins in the system?
    it's on an 89, btw.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

The obvious thing would be to check for a blown fuse, and then look for vacuum leaks under the hood. After that it gets a little tougher to find the problem. There was a recent thread on cruise control that may be helpful. I couldn't get a link to work so I brought it back to the top. It's called "What could cause this?" Good Luck

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had the linkage break on mine...that actuatior was workin fine but just not doin anything because the place where it hooks to the actuatior had worn through and broke off....so i had to replace the actuatior...and what a bitch that was....its hard as hell to get to the little screws that hold that thing on....if you can live without cruse...just wait till you have to pull the motor then change it then...if that is the problem

[​IMG]

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Someone just posted this...

Anyone know why my cruise control will only work when the windshield wipers are on?

They got this response....

The lever or switch was bad. Bought it from the dealer 5 years ago? ($75 bucks?) CHA CHING! Get an after market or one from Cheyenne, LMC or other. Open door push in on lever towards column(spring loaded), rotate 1/4 turn to left, comes straight out. Disconnect harness , reattach and insert truning to the right. Don't think there's a need to disconnect battery.

Mine stopped working too last summer but since I rarely use it I didn't really care. I'm gonna check into this as well as the other stuff....but I thought I would share this with you in case this would be of some help! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I would first check to make sure all the components are there that belong to the system. all cruze control systems that I have worked on didn't work b/c they didnt have all the peices.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

6. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the wiring gets pinched in the steering column, causing a short. On mine I found a plug at the bottom of the column that had fried because of the short. It's a flat 2 prong plug about an inch wide, the prongs are actually made of a composite material with thin strips of foil stuck to them, the foil on mine was toast. I bought an new control arm from GM, installed it and it worked. Keep in mind though that someone tried to steal my truckby busting open my steering column, and when it was repaired at the shop, that's probably when the wiring was put in harms way.

Denis

7. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Steph,

Check out the rest of that thread... I had forgotten sumpin!

Good luck,

BBN

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Change out the turn signal lever. I have found that the wires break, causing the malfunction. I have taken it apart but you have to ruin it to do that unless you do it right. If you can get a small screwdriver under the slide switch you can snap off the last piece on the lever, it surrounds the button for setting cruise. Once this is off you can slide the rest out. I replaced the wires and put new shrink wrap on the wires and spliced the connector back on and replaced the lever back on the collar. Otherwise, just hit the junk yard and get another one. I got a new one for 5.00......