Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cruise control

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Buckeye, Apr 23, 2001.

1. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

I want to add cruise control to my truck. Any recommendations on where to pick up a unit.
    Thank you.

1972 K5

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

A buddy of mine put one on his 73 and it stuck open and he had to slam on his brakes, he ended up in the middle of an intersection burnning them off before he could shut it down and disconect it. I think he got it out of JC Whitney but I'm not sure, so just be careful...

3. K5Buckeye

Wow! Hope your pal is ok. I saw some of the choices out of JC Whitney. Do you remember which one he got?

1972 K5

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about it too (likely, I won't add it - I have a factory hand throttle that can perform the function on a level road...). The conclusion I came up with is that I would not use anything other than a factory setup off of a wrecked car. Lots of Caddys out there with cruise, just waiting to have their parts snagged.

5. K5Buckeye

Hey Steve,
    Why do you prefer a factory setup and what year Caddies would you choose?
    Thanks.
    Rodel

1972 K5

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I like the factory setups because they have a lot of built-in safeguards to prevent hang-ups. They also look more at home in a GM car or truck.

What years? Hmmm... Pretty much anything that has a carburetor from '70 up. Don't limit yourself to Caddys either. Lots of Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Pontiacs, Chevies, and GMCs had cruise control.